Help with deciding between 5x7s vs 6x9s. Modding needed will factor in

Participant count
  • Participant list

nyg052003

Senior VIP Member
Ok guys 95 mustang and I took out the mach 460 box today. It came with 5x7s in there. Back in 97 I had mb quarts 5 1/4s installed but they havent played in yrs and yrs. One is blown possibly both. I am comtemplating on rather to just use 5x7s or go with 6x9s as I always wanted them. I am going to go with 6 1/2s in the front doors and also 2 10 inch subs in trunk. I have 2 kenwood 5x7's in front doors now and if i stuck with 5x7s I might just use those since i have them. For the 6x9s there will be some modding needed and i took some snips and cut just a piece of the metal and it wasn't bad to cut though had to cut from inside trunk or back of car inside laying on my back.

I would probably have to modify both the metal as well as the hole in the box so that the speakers will fit snug in the box and all of the speaker will actually fit inside the box that's providing I mount the speaker from the top of deck first then put box in. If I just mod the box for the speaker and mount the speaker in box first then mount the box that could work also only thing is there is limited space to mod the box for the speaker to sit in box and actually be screwed into the box. There is a lip but by the time I trim it really doesn't look like much room to have to secure the speaker to the box if any. Going with the top mount of the speaker secured to the metal might be my best option in that regard. If I went with the top mount securing the speakers from inside of trunk to the top is the easiest way as with my rear window, it's impossible to get a screwdriver in to lock down the speaker but I can run screws from the bottom to the top and put a nut on them.

The main question is is there a huge, night and day difference between 5x7's and 6x9's? I will go with kicker 6x9's by the way if i went with 6x9s.

And would I even notice the lows of the Hi's with having 10s? I did like the feature of my defeat of the sub with using my cadence preamp eq but guys here told me not to use it any longer as it introduces distortion. And using a 5 channel amp I probably wont even be able to defeat the sub via a remote gain??? If I were, i could defeat the sub sometimes to hear how the Hi's sound without adjusting it in the radio

Just reading up i might can get 6 1/2's for rear as well since it appears the ovals suffer high end distortion but since i have the 5x7s i might not worry about it. As you can see back in 97 they used baffles to fill in the space for the 5 1/4's and would using those for the 6 1/2's be a good idea if i went 6 1/2's vs 6x9s?

UPON EDIT it appears i have 6x8's actually and that's what came in there. So 6x8, 6x9, or 6 1/2's

Last edited by a moderator:
Discussion on 5x7 vs 6x9..

5x7s vs 6x9s - eCoustics.com

If I had the room I would choose 6.5 but don't rule out some high quality 5.25" midbass components..

Just curious but why do want rear speakers, the idea is to move the soundstage up front to make it seem like the band is playing on your dashboard or just in front of you but not behind you, just my $.02

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.