help with amp clamping...

Participant count
  • Participant list
Looks like those should work. To be honest, I have never tried to measure true RMS watts & calculate impedance rise, but I found a decent explanation on another forum...

"Use the True-RMS Clamp Meter on the +speaker wire only to measure your AC Amperage and use a DMM with peak-hold on to measure AC Voltage across the speaker +/- terminals.

Multiply those 2 numbers to get your RMS Wattage.

To find the Impedance rise you divide the voltage by the amperage. NOTE - impedance rise varies with frequency, so the measurement may depend somewhat on the test signal you are using. "

Multiplying those number will give you VA - 'not' RMS wattage.

To get wattage, you would need to know the phase angle as well - which is a bit more involved...

For comparison purposes - VA is usually sufficient - just clarifying that the number you get is not the actual wattage.

Looks like those should work. To be honest, I have never tried to measure true RMS watts & calculate impedance rise, but I found a decent explanation on another forum...
"Use the True-RMS Clamp Meter on the +speaker wire only to measure your AC Amperage and use a DMM with peak-hold on to measure AC Voltage across the speaker +/- terminals.

To find the Impedance rise you divide the voltage by the amperage. NOTE - impedance rise varies with frequency, so the measurement may depend somewhat on the test signal you are using. "

That would be correct ^. And rise will be highest at your box tuning.
not always true, but most of the time. @37hz I rise to 12.16 ohms, but at 54, which is what im tuned to, I rise to 7.745 ohms, and my peak, which is 41hz, I rise to 6.394 ohms. LOL

can you recommend a cheaper clamp meter?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.