Help With 98 Cavalier

TwiztedRolla
10+ year member

A friend of mine recently got two subs and an amp as a gift. He doesn't want to change his stock head unit right now, and it doesn't have RCA jacks. We tapped into the wires from the back of the head unit that work with the rear speakers, and used some RCA jacks we bought from RadioShack. For the Remote wire, we tapped into the cigarette lighter. With everything connected, we turn the car on, and there's no sound coming from any of the speakers. When we disconnect the RCAs, the sound returns, and then when we reconnect the RCAs, the subs start working. We found out that the cigarette lighter is always powered, so what do we need to tap for a remote wire and what is causing the speakers not to play when we first start the car?? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Pioneer and Jensen both make head units that will fit into the origianl opening no adapter kit required. Buy it dont be a cheap skate. I made my girlfriend buy the pioneer head unit,

RMS Power Output 22 watts

Peak Output 45 watts

RMS Power Bandwidth 50-15kHz

Preamp Voltage 4 volts

Video Control No

Preamp Outputs 3 pair

Subwoofer Preamp Outputs Yes

AUX Input Optional

Display Color Multi-color

Key Button Color Green/Blue

EQ Bands 3

Sound Shaping Type Easy EQ, FIE

Wireless Remote Yes

Changer Control Yes

Security Detachable face

Besides you'll already voided the warranty if there still is one, bye splicing into the Cig. Lighter and Rear Speakers. The reason why the speakers cut when you turn the car on is because... you've interupted the flow of electrons in the speakers wire. SO you may as well Buy the cd player, (259.95w/o remote-299.95 w/remote) So come on do it right

Brian

hopefully , you used a hi to low level adapter on the rear spkr leads and didn't just cut and splice the rca into the rear speaker leads. as far as what is written above, that is the most incredible load of crap I have ever heard. "The electrons in your speaker wire have not been interrupted." Since you wired into the cig lighter, the system will shut off momentarily when the car is started simply because the lighter loses power between the start and run positions when you turn the key. As for the rca thing please get at least anadapter if not a deck with rca outs on it. The system may play wacky if you are spliced directly into the rear spkr wires due to the voltage the amp recieves over the rca's which may be putting it in a protect mode . The step down is needed to take that voltage of input down to a level suitable for the amp.....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.