Help Please

Smells like trouble man.:p You have them wired wrong and you are cooking them.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/nono.gif.eca61d170185779e0921b0faa9704973.gif

I believe you are burning the coating off of the voice coil, especially if you are playing them hard right out of the box. Also, when you buy new subs, they give off a funny smell for around the first 2 hours of play, which is from what I mentioned above. Basically you are supposed to give new subs a fair amount of break-in time, or play which is at a low volume level. I did around 10 hours, and then I warm my 12" up at low volume for 5 minutes every morning or when I am out of my car for a long period of time. Basically, if you just bought them and want them to last longer, don't wail on them right out of the package.

Originally posted by SKMexiFry I believe you are burning the coating off of the voice coil, especially if you are playing them hard right out of the box. Also, when you buy new subs, they give off a funny smell for around the first 2 hours of play, which is from what I mentioned above. Basically you are supposed to give new subs a fair amount of break-in time, or play which is at a low volume level. I did around 10 hours, and then I warm my 12" up at low volume for 5 minutes every morning or when I am out of my car for a long period of time. Basically, if you just bought them and want them to last longer, don't wail on them right out of the package.
The subs were played before I brought them off of somebody and I never experienced something like this before I have them briged just like I did my other subs but the smell is strong and comming from the ports. The speaker that I replaced started to make a poping type sound as if it was busted so I went to Circut City and purchased another. the first time with the old sub smoke from the box (port holes) the second time (after I replaced the sub) I could smell it while I was driving. Could it be the box since it has been sitting for a while

does the old sub show evidence of being fried... is there a burning smell? if the interior of the box is carpeted then the smell may be trapped in the carpet and will take some time to disappear.

Where are you gains set?

This would be the first place I would look into. If you indeed are noticing a funny smoke smell from your woofers; it is likely that they are being damaged in one form or another.

Have a look into all the wiring within the system and make sure it is all secure and not exposed. Keep the gains down on the amplifier, and also have a look into doing a complete bench test of the amplifier. In some cases, faulty resistors and other components within the amp are letting too much juice by and passing it on to the speakers. In my opinion, the amp would be the first place I would look.

take it easy,

-zane

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.