Help my son and I build our first box

I don't know if you have answered this already, but what type of music does your son listen to? More specifically, how much rap/hiphiop does he listen to?

Some things that you will be sacrificing if you go ported is space, a ported box can easily be 2 or 3 times as big as a sealed enclosure. If your son listens to alot of rap/hiphop a ported box will be the loudest, with this being said it doesn't mean it will sound the best.

As far as going with a sealed enclosure you wont be hitting those really low notes as hard that are played in almost every rap/hiphop song, but you can't think that it still wont hit those low notes. A sealed enclosure will have a much tighter response than a ported one, and sound much better at the higher low notes much like in metal and rock music.

In all honesty 2 10's will be plenty loud and plenty of bass whether you go ported or sealed.

What ohm config did you get on the subs?
Dual voice 2 ohm

My son does not listen to that much rap but his main concern is not how good it sounds but when they gather in the parking lot after school (seems they have a informal competition of sorts) does his 10's hold their own, and from what i have read it is harder to get that wow factor from a sealed enclosure than a ported one. Other than his Pioneer head unit the rest of his speakers are stock so sound quality is not going to be all that good for now no matter, with that being said I don't want one of those "boom" boxes that is very loud but limited in response.

Dual voice 2 ohm
My son does not listen to that much rap but his main concern is not how good it sounds but when they gather in the parking lot after school (seems they have a informal competition of sorts) does his 10's hold their own, and from what i have read it is harder to get that wow factor from a sealed enclosure than a ported one. Other than his Pioneer head unit the rest of his speakers are stock so sound quality is not going to be all that good for now no matter, with that being said I don't want one of those "boom" boxes that is very loud but limited in response.
With this in mind, ported would be ideal if you can manage it. With aero ports, it is very simple. Space seems to be your main limitation, but you should be just fine ported with a little effort.

Best wishes.

After some careful measuring it seems I can not place both subs on one side of the box, they will have to go on separate ends of the box. One behind the passenger seat and one behind the driver. Can I still place the 4" aero port on one of the sides? It will end up being a lot closer to one of the subs but I still have plenty of room for it to clear.

After some careful measuring it seems I can not place both subs on one side of the box, they will have to go on separate ends of the box. One behind the passenger seat and one behind the driver. Can I still place the 4" aero port on one of the sides? It will end up being a lot closer to one of the subs but I still have plenty of room for it to clear.
If you use a psp 4" aero don't forget the flare is a little over 7"

https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=713

It is done and sounds awesome!!!! I want to thank you guys for the help.

The box ended up being 2.3cubic ft after the subs and port, I tuned it to 35hz with a single 4" port in the middle of the front side of the enclosure. I ended up having to put a 90 elbow on the port to keep it from being to close to the rear wall of the enclosure.

I am having to run the amp bridged at 2 ohms which it is not rated for but after several hours of playing it has not went into protection and stays warm but not hot. I am going up on the wire size from 6 to 4 or maybe even 2 because it is getting warm.

Again,..thanks to all the guys that helped and I am very,very pleased with the amount and quality of sound I am getting from my $200 sub/amp combo. I don't know how to explain how loud it is other than it makes it hard to see,..that has to be loud. LOL

Soundstream PCX2.540 but it is running 2 ohms bridged which it is not rated for but doing well so far. The amp is rated 540w @4 ohms bridged, does running it 2 ohms bridged double power?

I am sure to some of you guys this system would sound quite but for me and my son we are super happy and yes it will blurr your vision and make you feel like you can't catch your breath. Back in the late 90's (98-99) I had a couple of 12's installed in my Explorer at a local custom audio shop in a huge ported box. I can't remember all the specs but I know it was top-end stuff at the time, 1200watt amp, good stuff (1800 dollars for subs,box, and amp) and my son's 10's hit just as hard in a different way if that makes sense.

no it wont double the power. as long as it works fine that what id just leave it. and techncaily it takes a 150db+ system to make it heard to break or blur vision and know my 2 15s does a 151+ and i can see and breath fine. but for someone is high school a mid to upper 130db system is doing pretty well i wish i had my termlab so i could measure what i was doing when i had my first truck. it didnt sound loud when it was sealed up tho but with the windows down it sounded pretty good.

I know what your talking about when you say the blurred vision, when it hits those really low notes your vision starts to get a little fuzzy. I have a 12" type R in a ported box and when I first had it, it was messing with my vision and I would think "holy crappers" but I guess you get kinda used to it and don't notice it as much after a while.

But I'm glad you like the system, pretty soon you will get bass hungry and want MORE!

It was a lot of fun building and installing the system with my son,..brought back a lot of memories for me. My son has no experience with car audio other than what he remembers of my systems but he was very young,..3 or 4 maybe. He kept wanting to cut corners but I made him take the time to do everything right as I explained the importance of all the details,...sanding the grounds,...bracing the box,...soldering all the connections,...tuning the port,....making the sure the box was sealed,..ohm loads and how that effects power.

After we finished I heard him on the phone explaining to one of his buddies why his system did not sound as good as it should. He was talking about box size, port tuning like he knew what he was talking about.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif LOL At least he was paying attention during our build.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

Holy exaggeration. There s no freaking way you gained 10db's just going from sealed to ported. No way. There are actually educated people here and you won't sway them with your ridiculous claims.
USING THE W10GTi IN SPL COMPETITION

The enclosures presented here provide maximum

SPL over a narrow range of frequencies and are

optimized for SPL competition. These designs use

a non-classical alignment in which the vented

enclosure’s resonance is carefully aligned with the

response of a sealed box of the same volume to

produce a peak in the system’s output slightly

above the tuning frequency. This peak may be as

much as 12 dB when compared to a sealed box

aligned for flat response

weLL it looks like you just dont know how to build a box because yes a custom ported box because its twice the size or 3 times the size of a sealed box is 3 times louder - 10dbs plus over a small but nice bandwith of like 30 to 45 hz more depending on the setup. mainly lows the ported box could kill the sealed too or highs if you tune it high. just takes Space

space makes bass

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.