Help installing new amp.....

Participant count
  • Participant list

Tay 93 325i

Ok so i got my new amp in the mail today, its a JBL BP300.1

I'm going to use to power my JL stealthbox subs. Right now my problem is installing the amp.

How do I wire the new amp to my stock bmw system? I removed the carpeting in trunk so the stock amp is exposed, but I can't tell what wire i need for the new amp.

Also how do i power the new amp, do i need to run a new wire to the battery? If so what is the best way to do that?

Please let me know if you can offer any assistance...thanks

info: 1993 BMW 325i

Stock basic stereo system

thanks

If you have no clue how to do it, I would get it professionally installed. It costs $40-60 but is usually done really well. But if you're like me, you want to save money and do it yourself. This is how I'd do it.

Note: This is merely a guideline, I'm not professional but this is how I've installed several stereo systems.

Steps:

Disconnect the negative battery terminal anytime you make new connections to your car's electrical system. Don't worry about it while you're running wires. Just remember to disconnect it when you are ready to. This prevents possible shorts and stuff.

1.) I always put my box w/amp in my trunk.

2.) Remove the fuse from the amp. This makes sure that the circuit won't be completed reducing the risk of shorts and sparks.

3.) Connect the wires to the amp.

-Power

-Ground

-Remote/Amp turn-on(if neccessary for your amp)

-Speaker wire(do this before or after install, it's up to you. I always do it while I'm doing the rest.)

4.) Now, what I do is I run the wires under the plastic covers just under the doors. They are usually where the door closes. Always plan ahead. Look at your car and plan a route to run the wires. Here are some tips:

-Start from the trunk and move toward the front of the car.

-Always run the power wire seperate from the RCA's and speaker wire.

-Run the power wire on the side of the car that the battery is on.

-Don't get mad and break stuff in your car out of desperation to get your system in. Be patient.

5.) Connect the RCA's to your deck's preout wire. Check the manual for which one.

6.) Now, you still might have a remote/amp. turn-on wire to connect. You will need to splice this in with the ACC+(usually red) wire from the car's stereo harness, or the Power Antenna(usually blue) wire, OR sometimes there is a specific wire dedicated to the amp turn-on. This is the way I do it, there are other ways.

7.) Once you run the wires to their locations, attach the power wire to the POSITIVE terminal of the battery. As long as you don't touch both terminals of the battery at the same time, you'll be fine. Be sure and screw the power wire on tightly to the terminal.

Now, this should be all. Be sure and reconnect the negative power cord for the car to the negative terminal on the battery. You might see a spark or two, but as long as the spark isn't huge, you're fine. Tighten that back on too. Put the fuse back in the amp, and you should be good to go. Have fun!

Okay, I know I'm going to catch a lot of flak for saying this....................Pay someone to do it. BMW's (most German cars for that matter) are not an easy install. Especially when you are trying to integrate aftermarket gear to the stock system. I know you said,"Stock, basic BMW system" but as far as OEM stuff goes, BMW is anything but basic.

Then their is this issue......

5.) Connect the RCA's to your deck's preout wire. Check the manual for which one.
Your deck doesn't have this.

And...............

6.) Now, you still might have a remote/amp. turn-on wire to connect. You will need to splice this in with the ACC+(usually red) wire from the car's stereo harness, or the Power Antenna(usually blue) wire, OR sometimes there is a specific wire dedicated to the amp turn-on. This is the way I do it, there are other ways.
This isn't correct for a factory head unit. Don't assume you know the colors of a factory harness.

Honestly, it'll be worth it to you to pay someone to do it....................Sorry, alaxan.

Actually Bean I am going to agree with you here. Integrating into the factory system is a difficult task and you run the risk of doing a LOT of damage to your vehicle. This includes setting it aflame if you short something wrong or toy with the wrong set of wires. If you were changing out the deck I would give help on that, but this is perhaps a bit out of yoru league unless you have a strong electronics background. Pay the 60bucks and get it done right.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.