Helix Esprit or ID CTX65cs or something else?

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hey, all.

I am finally jumping out of the entry-level game (db6501s) and moving into something a little better. Right now I have a 100w RMS per channel Rockford Fosgate amp for the front channels. I want to go active instead of passive once spring comes.

I ordered a pair of CTX65cs comps because I didn't want my current amp to blow new speakers. I've heard great things about the Esprits and the IDs but I have a hunch the Esprits might be better.

But what is better? I listen to EDM music mixed in with the occasional "something else" (could be anything from symphonic orchestra to hip hop to heavy metal). I have a hard time with harsh highs.

What I wonder is two things: would it make sense to replace my amp to run the CTX65cs at 150w RMS each -OR- return the CTX65cs and replace them the the Esprit 6.5" comp set and maybe upgrade my amp down the road? Could the Esprits handle 100w RMS comfortably?

Should I even be buying component sets if I plan to go active?

What something will handle is up to your habits. Having to much power is a good thing if the user knows how to use it. Every speaker in my car has twice rated power on tap. That ensures it will always be clean. Also the install and tune is more important than the equipment. You can polish a turd to a point.

polks to the ctx would not be that big of an upgrade, save for XS instead.
Nooooooooooooooo...!!! Hahaha. Ouch. The CTX are on their way already. I can drop a bit more on the XS if it's worth the money. Should I RMA them at Sonix and then pick up a set of the XS?

When I was doing various research, I didn't see the XS come up much but saw tons of details on the CTX hence my going with the CTX.

Nooooooooooooooo...!!! Hahaha. Ouch. The CTX are on their way already. I can drop a bit more on the XS if it's worth the money. Should I RMA them at Sonix and then pick up a set of the XS?
When I was doing various research, I didn't see the XS come up much but saw tons of details on the CTX hence my going with the CTX.
Its fine then. Its not really an upgrade vs a different type of sound, it should sound warmer and less bright than the polks. Upgrade is when the music plays and you feel tingles and say holy Sh*t F*ck.

Just a heads up

Woofersect has a way better selection

I've checked both, actually. Sonix I have a tiny bit of experience with and I like that they can get me a my order in 2-3 days (guessing Woofers can too but haven't ordered from them). Plus, they were the same price on both sites.

They'll be here Wednesday but I'm still stuck scratching my head. What amp(s) should I use with these?

I've checked both, actually. Sonix I have a tiny bit of experience with and I like that they can get me a my order in 2-3 days (guessing Woofers can too but haven't ordered from them). Plus, they were the same price on both sites.
They'll be here Wednesday but I'm still stuck scratching my head. What amp(s) should I use with these?
Just get the most quality power you can. That's what matters

Just get the most quality power you can. That's what matters
I get that. Makes sense but ... "quality power" and how much? Can the power be of the same quality if its coming from a four channel amp? Would it be more economical to just get two amps?

I guess I'm just stuck on how to make a decision. What criteria should I go buy to make a determination?

Not sure. Once they got here, I opened the box enough to see that there was a box of speakers in there, sealed it back up, and sent them back. XS65 to be be ~Wednesday.
Oh OK. I currently run the XS tweets with the CTX mids active off my amp and I'm very happy.

I had some Lanzar Opti mids in there for a while and they actually sounded a little better. I thought my driver one was going bad so pulled them and put my ctxs back in. Turned out it was something else.. Anyway, ID makes nice stuff. I think either way you would have been happy.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I don't think you are understanding something.

Just because a amp can provide xxx amount of power does not mean you have to xxx amount of power.

The closer any amp is being driven to its limits is harder on the amp.

Basically there is no such thing as to much power.

What amp do you use? Can I pump the same RMS wattage to the tweets as I would the woofers?
Sent from my LG-VS985 using Tapatalk
My current amp is a Diamond D7056 which is 50x6. A little underrated but not much. I had them on a two channel OPTI that was over 150rms. I also have the bridged on a Sundown SAX 100.4 . that was a little much but it handled it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

supoaneko

supoaneko
Springfield, MA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
LosIsATool