Headunit doesn't power on after plugging it it.

Participant count
  • Participant list

manymarius73

CarAudio.com Newbie
Texas
Hi all. I have a question that I fear I wont be able to solve without money. I have a 2002 Mazda Miata, with 2 6.5" 2 ways running through an amp. Everything was working as it should. I wanted a different head unit. So, when I went to wire it in, instead of disconnecting the battery and taking the car side harness out, I cut and spliced it right there in the radio bay. Now the headunit won't power on. I tried wring the old one back in, and it wouldn't power on. I tested the new one on another power source and it will power up. I checked the radio fuse, and it wasn't blown. So, what is the next place to look? What would cutting and splicing with the harness hooked up and the battery connected do? Thanks for your time! Jason

Hi all. I have a question that I fear I wont be able to solve without money. I have a 2002 Mazda Miata, with 2 6.5" 2 ways running through an amp. Everything was working as it should. I wanted a different head unit. So, when I went to wire it in, instead of disconnecting the battery and taking the car side harness out, I cut and spliced it right there in the radio bay. Now the headunit won't power on. I tried wring the old one back in, and it wouldn't power on. I tested the new one on another power source and it will power up. I checked the radio fuse, and it wasn't blown. So, what is the next place to look? What would cutting and splicing with the harness hooked up and the battery connected do? Thanks for your time! Jason
I have a 96 Miata myself ...when you cut harness you most likely shorted the main constant on wire . So you have a fuse blown ...it will probably be in the fuse box under the dash.

So I looked at my fuses in the hood, and I think I found a large square fuse blown. I don't know for certain, but all the other large, square fuses show green through the window, and this one is showing the copper wire. The fuse is for " all ignition components", so it sounds likely, right?

Did you check #8 in the fuse box on drivers side?

I appreciate everyone's time and attention! The problem turned out to be two fuses. One under the hood, and one under the dash. Again, thanks for putting on the right path, beyond my own pissed offed ness!

Jason

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.