Head Units and External Hard Drives

What is the size of that Iomega drive that you are using?
I am thinking about getting this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822186019

That looks just like the one I am using except mine is only an 80 GB drive. Here is the one I am using:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822161635

Oh and I am powering it through the single USB off the Kenwood DPX701 head unit! It works great. Startup takes about 30 seconds to get the drive going and read, but that isn't too bad. It does take some experimenting in file folder setup so you can search for your songs, album or artist fairly quickly. I already have about 300 full CD's plus another several hundred individual songs.

Well I have experince with Blaupunkt, and they support the 80GB Lacie 'by Porsche' hard drive. Some retailers in the UK sell the HU and drive as a package. I'm using the 40GB version, and the 60 works too. I've been participating in the UK's TalkAudio forum where there seems to be more interest in USB. So far people there have been using the same drives with the older Kenwoods, but with the drive's supplemental power (via a car USB charger which can be hard wired). I'm not sure if the new units can power them alone.
The USB spec. is for 5V at .5A. Most larger drives need more current, so using the supplemental power is required as long as the drive is otherwise compatible.

The Lacie drive: (corrected)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822154132

My HU (which I don't really recommend):

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-J4OsolKNeOd/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&I=023MEMMP66

The Kenwood (I'm waiting for the 991):

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-J4OsolKNeOd/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&I=113KDCX891
yea i got that kenwood. itsp retty good. i like the whole scrolling function it has. im using a 30 gig hd and i have no problems with it not being able to power it. the only thing i dont like about is the face. which i changed =p

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265945 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Hi, I am looking for the car Head Unit suported the big HDD music library. My music library contains over 13,000 mp3 files. They are organized in three level folders structure:

1-st Level - Artists (around 400 artists),

2-nd Level - Albums (maks 60 albums per 1 Artists, around 1,200 albums total),

3-rd Level - mp3 files, adhere to the album, from Level 2. There are around 13,000 files total.

I have two questions:

1. Does the Pioneer DEH-P7900UB head unit can play my whole music library by USB connection with the external Hard Drive?

2. Does any Pioneer head unit, equiped with USB adapter CD-UB100 can play my whole music library by USB connection with the external Hard Drive?

3. Does any other producer Head Unit can play my whole music library by USB connection with the external Hard Drive?

Adam,

Not sure about the Pioneer options you questioned, but a Kenwood Head Unit and using the PhatNoise Media Software and a portable USB powered hard drive like the one I mentioned above and you can do exactly what you are asking. I have nearly 5000 m4a music files on my portable hard drive and it works flawlessly using the Kenwood PhatNoise software.

External hard drives do work with Pioneer headunits. I have the DEH-P6900UB and flash drives work perfectly fine, along with other USB components (like a PSP).

I believe that most headunits order things based on the time they were transferred (earliest files/directories being first listed). There are programs out there that can order your files on an external hard drive in the order that you want.

I am just looking for an external hard drive to hold all of my music. I would get the 80gig iomega since it is working fine with you, but it is out of stock right now.

Adam,
Not sure about the Pioneer options you questioned, but a Kenwood Head Unit and using the PhatNoise Media Software and a portable USB powered hard drive like the one I mentioned above and you can do exactly what you are asking. I have nearly 5000 m4a music files on my portable hard drive and it works flawlessly using the Kenwood PhatNoise software.
Do You know:

1. Which Kenwood HU can support so many folders and files?

2. How many folders can it support and on which Level (Artits/Album/Files)?

3. Is there any other limitation concerning the folders structre?

4. The best one HU would be the HU wchich can support the HDD like I wrote and additional can read the mp3 DVD disk. Does exist the HU like this?

Adam

External hard drives do work with Pioneer headunits. I have the DEH-P6900UB and flash drives work perfectly fine, along with other USB components (like a PSP)....
Queston is does anyone tested this model whith any hard drive over 160GB? Very often I read about problems with correct work HU with so big HDD. Which HDD models was tested yet with similar lists of folders and files?

Adam

I have the Pioneer 6900 ub. Works perfect with a 60g Ipod usb playlists very quick. I am trying to set it up with Toshiba 120g using a 5v power cord from Addonics. It works except not every time, reads playlists etc has random that goes to root of every folder, about 6000 mp3s some 320. Called and talked to several Pioneer agents about why it doesn't boot every time, no help other than they say the HD MFG best is Seagate. I will get a Seagate and try but it could be quailty of my 5v power adapter car battery driven, maybe the Fat 32 something like that.

If I really want it to boot this procedures works with Toshiba drive, boot to Ipod via usb, then pull face plate for about a minute, then it will boot to 120g usb???????? When I get in car after it has sit for awhile or I add some files to hard drive it works but a restart of car and nada, may be a memory issue with head unit, possibly voltage issue. At this time easier for me to go buy a seagate.

I saw an earlier post about computer in car I have been running a laptop in my car for 5 or 6 years. It really works good nice big maps for the GPS, email with a Sprint wireless card (speeds similar to avg DSL) spreadsheets, address data base, appointments, etc, you can even make a VOIP call with it in certain good bandwith areas. It hooks up to sound system, and you can use unlimited hard drive files with it but it too many functions for one item. I like the music to be a different source if you are looking at a map or a email and wonder what song or artist is playing it is better just to look at the head unit, using a mouse or using a computer keyboard on a bumpy road in traffic is tricky. Stoplights are your friends.

I will post the results of the Pioneer with the Seagate 160g, and a Maxtor 80g.

Do You know:1. Which Kenwood HU can support so many folders and files?

2. How many folders can it support and on which Level (Artits/Album/Files)?

3. Is there any other limitation concerning the folders structre?

4. The best one HU would be the HU wchich can support the HDD like I wrote and additional can read the mp3 DVD disk. Does exist the HU like this?

Adam
All Kenwoods with the USB port can handle external hard drives, not just flash drives/ipods/mps players.

My hard drive now has over 300 folders/playlists on it and the head unit seems to be able to handle as many as I am willing to save to the hard drive. I use the PhatNoise Media software that came with the head unit to rip my music files, manipulte the data and then transfer it to the hard drive. I can pull music by genre, artist, album, date, and on and on depending on how much data I input when I rip the album. Currently I have every album stored as a playlist and then several playlists created by genre and then several favorites playlists by genre (which are simply genre initiated playlists that have had the songs weeded out and only have the songs I regularly want to hear). One thing that is nice about the PhatNoise software is that it announces the playlist or whatever so you do not have to take your eyes off the road. The head unit literally talks to you when you are in browse mode.

Limitiations, well I wish you could create playlist under other playlists. Meaning I wish you could create a mulitiple level file structure like in windows that would be as many levels as you want. I think this is how the ipod works, but I do not own one and have not used one often enough to see how the folder levels work. Nonetheless, you can create playlists fairly simply with the PhatNoise software and the head unit can read them perfectly. So this way seems to work ok for now. I have been reading about a hacked version of the software on www.phathack.com that is comign out soon and one of the things they are working on is the extended file folder structure. Another limitation is the head unit I have (DPX701) does not show album art even though it is ripped and saved to the drive. I understand the Kenwood DVD based units will even display the artwork which is pretty cool (IMO). Eventually it would be really cool to have a touch screeen DVD unit and USB or hard wired hard drive that would support Windows based file structure and then you could litterally touch the folders and open them up and get to an executable file and touch it and the unit would play it. But I just saw Ford/Mercury came out with voice recognition hard drives that would play whatever you want.

I think the way i have mine set up is exactly what you are looking for. So I can say that the Kenwood head units with USB ports will work for what I think you are trying to do.

I wanted to post another finding I had with using my USB powered Iomega Silver portable hard drive. The other day I wanted to add some files to it and grabbed it out of my glovebox. Normally I grab the USB cable as well, but this time I figured I have the one for my cell phone in my laptop bag and I'd just use it. BUT IT WOULDN'T WORK! I plugged it into my laptop and to the drive and the drive would not power up all the way. The blue power light would come on, but not enough juice through this USB cable to make the drive really work. I scratched my head because I had never ran across a sitaution where one USB cable would work and the other would not. So I got the one that came with the drive and plugged it in and shazam, the drive powered right up! The cable that comes with the Iomega drive is a dual USB ended plug. One is all I have ever used and the other is for cases where the USB port is not capable of supplying 5V and is clearly labeled with a lightning bolt. Again, I have never needed to hook up the extra USB power end with this cord. But the Motorola RAZR one would not work. To further test the issue, I went back out to my truck and using the RAZR wire I tried to get the drive to power up and it would not. So long story short, apparently not all USB 2.0 cables are created equal! Leason learned. BTW, the one that comes with the Kenwood head unit works well, just not the ones for my cell phone or MP3 Player (tried that one too and no luck). If anyone knows why, let me know because on the outside these cables all look the same.

Update on the Pioneer 6900u trying to use a Toshiba 120g. I just picked up a 160g Maxtor one touch mini4. Formatted to fat32 with Partition magic, loaded some music folders and it boots in less than a minute and remembers song on playlist or folder so far works as smooth as Ipod. I went pick up a Seagate the reccommended drive by Pioneer but the Maxtor was on sale, had to give it a chance. (117.99 compusa) Apparently the Pioneer is HD mfg sensitive? And I thinking it likes a Maxtor. The usb cable with Maxtor is a y I used one For 6900u and the other in a cigarette lighter to usb adapter I had picked up cheap from Addonic to charge my phone and Blackberry.

If I encounter any issues I will post.

So far Pioneer 6900u usb works great with Ipod, Maxtor 160 g (with 5v addtional input) And for sure it reads playlist m3u placed in root file with mp3's The playlists is built using the HD as the source. I have a utility that will move a playlist from Ipod to a folder on another drive with all of the mp3's. I don't think you could copy a playlist without building it on HD that you are connecting to Head Unit.

SilverDude,

Do you have anything in the owners manual for that Pioneer Head Unit that shows the amps/volts the USB can power? Just curious because what I found was that the hard drive mA requirements must be below 500 mA on the Kenwood and the head unit will power the hard drive without the need for an extra power supply...it'll power it right through the USB. I was wondering if the Pioneer had the same USB port. If so then I can guarantee you that any Iomega Silver Series USB 2.0 portable hard drive will work perfectly for you as well. This drive the the drive I have found with the least power needed to start up. Many use 650 mA to boot up, but then only need less than 500 mA to maintain. Congrats on finding a large hard drive that will work though.

It can supply max of 500 ma, I don't know about your drive but all I have seen have either a usb for addtional power or a pin input which is 5v, you can use a Radio Shack type 5 volt or one from Addonics which I believe have a pretty good array of power supplies. Remember Pioneer 6900 is MFG sensitive on HD I have seen posts that Simple Tech works, Pioneer says Seagate, and Maxtor model I have works.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.