head unit won't turn off??

Participant count
  • Participant list

Justin braaapp

CarAudio.com Elite
Just got home from doing a few things and when I took the key out of my truck my head unit wouldn't turn off. Amp was on and music kept playing but the key wasn't in and the door was open. Usually it all shuts down when you take the key out an open the door. I have a pioneer DEH-x8500BH. Everything shuts down when i take the face plate off but i shouldn't have to do that for it all to shut off. Any help you guys could give me I would really appreciate. Thanks everyone.

out of curiosity what would that mean if the dome light was on?
You mentioned that your head unit normally goes off when you open the door. That indicates that there is a circuit controlling the power to the head unit that's triggered by the door being opened. If that's the case then the most likely cause would be a broken or inoperative door switch and that would be easy to find out by checking whether or not the dome light comes on when you open the door.

You mentioned that your head unit normally goes off when you open the door. That indicates that there is a circuit controlling the power to the head unit that's triggered by the door being opened. If that's the case then the most likely cause would be a broken or inoperative door switch and that would be easy to find out by checking whether or not the dome light comes on when you open the door.
okay I will have to go out and check, didn't really pay attention to it before. How would I go about fixing that if thats the case?

okay I will have to go out and check, didn't really pay attention to it before. How would I go about fixing that if thats the case?
Depends on what the problem is. It could be something as simple as the wire coming lose from the switch or, it could be a bad switch. It could also be a problem with the PCM or whatever body control module handles that circuit.

In short, it could be an easy and free fix or it could be a complicated and expensive fix. :-(

no my dome light doesn't come on. Im in the middle of installing component speakers in the doors do my door panels are completely off with the window/lock harnesses unplugged. Im not sure if this could be the problem? I have been driving around all day like that with no problem and it just happened like an hour ago

Depends on what the problem is. It could be something as simple as the wire coming lose from the switch or, it could be a bad switch. It could also be a problem with the PCM or whatever body control module handles that circuit.
In short, it could be an easy and free fix or it could be a complicated and expensive fix. :-(
no my dome light doesn't come on. Im in the middle of installing component speakers in the doors do my door panels are completely off with the window/lock harnesses unplugged. Im not sure if this could be the problem? I have been driving around all day like that with no problem and it just happened like an hour ago

---------- Post added at 02:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 AM ----------

Sounds like a wire has come lose. Check that the switch is plugged in and that it hasn't been damaged.
Well i don't even have anything plugged in right now as far as door panels. The switches for windows and locks are unplugged and door panel is off. I was just out messing with the HU and noticed even if you take it out, and put it back on it will power up without the key being in. if that makes sense?

Sounds like a wire has come lose. Check that the switch is plugged in and that it hasn't been damaged.
Well i don't even have anything plugged in right now as far as door panels. The switches for windows and locks are unplugged and door panel is off. I was just out messing with the HU and noticed even if you take it out, and put it back on it will power up without the key being in. if that makes sense?

Try disconnecting the remote wire from your amp. My boy had a problem like this 2 years ago, he ran the remote wire from the radio fuse and somehow the remote wire was touching the power wire inside the amp and his radio wouldn't turn off.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.