Head Unit instillation issues (86' Chevy Silverado)

Participant count
  • Participant list

Trevor9168

I recently decided to remove the original radio in my truck, and put in the aftermarket from my car. I did all the fabrication and I have the head unit in, but Im not getting power... So I am running a wire from the battery wire on the harness to the fuse box, and I am able to get power to the radio, but it turns on my parking lights. I found a way to get power to the radio without the parking lights coming on, yet when I shut off the radio and turn it back on, it's settings are reset...

^^^^This all may sound jumbled, but it's only because I am confused, and partially frustrated simply due to the fact I installed the radio into my car with no problems previously.

If anyone knows where I should tie in on the fuse box so that the parking lights dont turn on, and the memory doesn't reset, that would be fantastic! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif.

Frustration man...Well,you can run the power wire/red to the aux portion....Yellow is memory,and needs to be ran to batt,or poss ign,or something tahts always going to be hott. You can turn your ign on and of to see if memory stays on,and leave radio on see if it will turn on/off by key??????Should work just fine

I've got the Power wire on the Radio Harness hooked up to the power wire on the GM harness. And I have the Battery Wire on the Radio Harness hooked up to the Battery Wire (Orange wire) on the GM Harness, with another wire running to wherever I can find constant power. I've tried the lighter, it turns on parking lights, the ignition fuse, it turns on parking light, I just don't get it :O

Do you own a dmm or test light? If so just test the various fuses to determine which is a constant power and which turn off and on based on the key position.

If you don't own a dmm or test light, go buy one.

Also Autozone sells these nice little things that enable you to essentially add onto your stock fuse so you don't have to cut any wires or try to cram a connector/wire into your fuse box.

Lastly, the red coming off your HU is not always power and yellow is not always the aux. Read your HU owner's manual.

I have tested to see which one is constant, hooked in there, and it turns on my **** parking lights haha, and this is a Kenwood KDC-135. Red is ignition, yellow is battery.... if the Antenna isn't hooked up does that cause problems? one wouldn't think so.

check this video out may answer your question

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

[/color]

hope this works the link and the help

if the Antenna isn't hooked up does that cause problems? one wouldn't think so.
Yeah, not unless you've got a power antenna.

I don't see why hooking into a power source would cause your parking lights to turn on either. Are you saying that by simplying making the connection causes your parking lights to turn on or that when you turn the stereo on then your lights come on?

Also you said you removed this from your other car correct. Are you using the same aftermarket wiring adapter to plug into your truck?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.