head unit install

derek33
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
mass
My buddy wants me to install a head unit into his 99 grand cherokee. Ive installed a couple different systems including amps, subs, and speakers. but all the systems i installed stuff in already had the aftermarket head unit installed by bestbuy or something.

Im wondering if head units are a hard deal. is any wire cutting, soldering etc needed? or do you just clip the harness into the old harness to the back of the head unit, etc.

ill take any info on head unit installation.

thanks

lol your in the same stituation im in lol imo the toughest part in installing an aftermarket is actually getting the stock hu out. after that its all stripping and crimping

people may call it ghetto. but my form of "crimping" is to take the two stripped wires and twisting them together and covering htem with electrical tape. si that fine?

and is it easy to determine which wires go to which.

people may call it ghetto. but my form of "crimping" is to take the two stripped wires and twisting them together and covering htem with electrical tape. si that fine?
and is it easy to determine which wires go to which.
its cool if you strip and twist... i used to do that too //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

umm just get a wiring harness (have him pay for it) for that specific vehicle and your good.

I too have a 99 Grand, and it is very east to install a HU in. All you have to d is get a putty knife or screwdriver, and pop the piece that is around the factory radio now, the vents will come off as well because it is one piece (there are 4 tabs that hold it on, 2 at top, 2 on bottom ends). Then just unscrew the origional radio, 4 screws, and you now have access to the wires. Cut them, wire in the wiring harness, and plug it in the the new HU. Then just repeat the steps backward to finish up.

http://www.wjjeeps.com is a great site for any info on the 99+ Grands.

http://wjjeeps.com/audio.htm has detailed instructions on how to remove it.

might want to go to the hardware store and pick up a pack of 16 guage butt connectors. Makes the connection ever so much better. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

get a pack of 15 and your set!

I too have a 99 Grand, and it is very east to install a HU in. All you have to d is get a putty knife or screwdriver, and pop the piece that is around the factory radio now, the vents will come off as well because it is one piece (there are 4 tabs that hold it on, 2 at top, 2 on bottom ends). Then just unscrew the origional radio, 4 screws, and you now have access to the wires. Cut them, wire in the wiring harness, and plug it in the the new HU. Then just repeat the steps backward to finish up.
http://www.wjjeeps.com is a great site for any info on the 99+ Grands.

http://wjjeeps.com/audio.htm has detailed instructions on how to remove it.
NO NO NO

get a wiring harness from local car audio shop or bestbuy/circuit city. Never remove the factory wiring harness plug, especially if you want to take the cd player out when you get rid of the car. So you can put the factory player back in.

i have a 97. so put the truck in 1st and grab the lower portion of the trim piece by the bottom of the dash and pull it off and then remove the 2 screw. mount the hu in the mounting bracket and solder the wiring harness up and snap it together and bolt the hu in and snap the trim peice back in. its easy it took me 20 min

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.