Head Unit Info

Participant count
  • Participant list

MuNchiezzz

CarAudio.com Recruit
I'm in the market for a new head unit and I don't know much about what to look for. So much has changed since the 90s when I bought my last one.

What do I look for when buying a new unit spec wise?

I know I want a double din to fit my dash. I'm also only going to only run a single amp for my subs (until I decide to upgrade the factory speakers someday in the future, will I need another external amp for that or can/will the head unit take care of that?) I have a Dodge Grand Caravan so there are alot of factory speakers.

I know I want something able to connect with my Android phone so Android play or whatever I know I want.

I'm currently looking at the...
Alpine IXL-W650
Kenwood DMX-7706S
Sony XAV-V10BT

Lastly when I look on crutchfield I see this message:

If you are bypassing the factory amp in this vehicle, we recommend replacing the low-impedance factory speakers with standard 4-ohm aftermarket speakers (or add an aftermarket amplifier) to prevent overheating and other damage to your new radio

Being new I don't quite understand that.

After you guys can fill me in on what to look for I'll feel better about choosing a unit...the joys of being a newbie lol

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.