Head unit face relocation help

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hi guys new to the forum, did try searching this but struggling to come up with what I was after, maybe I'm searching the wrong keywords, but basically I'm looking to Intall an iPad mini where my head unit is located, I want the main body of the head unit to remain behind the iPad and relocate the face to somewhere that it's accessible, I have a location in mind but I was wondering the best way to achieve this, wether or not there is an adaptor/extension readily available or if I could get the male+female connectors and wire my own extension cable up or if it would be best to solder straight to the board.

I am open to other suggestions aswell if anyone has any better ideas how to achieve what I'm after.

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/kenwood-kdc-bt710dab-cd-mp3-usb-car-stereo-with-bluetooth-dab-antenna-included

I know it's probably not the best head unit but I'm not chasing SPL or SQ just looking to upgrade from Oem, its ideal for me as I can connect 2 devices the iPad and I can connect my phone for hands free, the car in question is a MG ZT

Also I'm a complete newb when it comes the car audio so there may be a lot I don't understand but I am flicking through the forum to see what I can pick up

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not believe anybody makes a kit to do this and I don't recall ever seeing it done. You're on your own there and will likely need to solder directly to the boards which may be difficult or impossible and those solder points will be a weak link waiting to break and slag the whole thing when something shorts.

Good luck if you intend to be a trailblazer here.

Thanks, that would explain why I couldn't find anything after trying all sorts of keywords haha, I'll have to bite the bullet and see how it goes then, thanks for your input //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.