Head unit distortion

Participant count
  • Participant list
Thanks. Did the 1k test tone at 0DB 23 to 24 is a small change in pitch. Once at 25 it's a very noticeable change on internal head unit amp. On loud recordings I find 24 to be around max. While lower ones 26 to 27 is max before I hear a little distortion in mids and highs. Ordered the Alpine S series 12 inch sub to match my s series 6.5 coxials. Used a 50hz 0 db for setting my sub amp gains. Gain landed right between a quarter and a the nom setting. 34.7 volts which is very close to the 34.64 target.

Alpine says the Maximum Pre-Out voltage is 4v. You can test this in a primitive way with a VERY cheap harbor freight red multimeter. Set EVERYTHING flat in the head unit, EQ's, bass boost, loudness off. Send that 1Khz 0db tone through the head unit and with a multimeter test the RCA out's of the head unit turning up the volume until the meter reads 4V. Look at the volume level your head unit is at. That's your max undistorted volume. To be safe, back it off one click. Do the same for your Sub out as well but use a 40hz tone. If the volume is lower than the other RCA's then use the lower volume number. If it is higher, use the lower volume number.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...