Head unit cosmetic dillema

Participant count
  • Participant list

Dead Reckon
10+ year member

I drive a 1986 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser which is soon to get an interior from a wrecked 1989 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, this is the dash I am working with:

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g139/Dead-Reckon/1989%20Oldsmobile%20Custom%20Cruiser/100_2022.jpg

Stock 1.5 DIN Delco unit will not stay, when the dash comes out and goes into my car, the Delco deck will go in the trash.

So here's the dilemma, obviously anything I put in there it seems is going to look ENTIRELY out of place, I do not like that, no matter how nice it sounded, I could not stand something that horrid looking. So, does anyone know of any great sounding, affordable ($250 and down, or thereabouts), head unit which

Sounds great, has front and rear RCA outputs, plus a sub output, with no less than 3v

Has a 3.5mm input, don't really want USB, but I'll use it if I have too. Although I don't care for all that nonsense, iPod controls have only ever caused me headaches.

A way to fit it that does not look like a cheap fit kit, there is no black plastic in the car, so those would just look horrid.

And, of course, does not clash with the interior. My biggest gripe with modern units is that they are overly flashy, lit, and do not even look in place in a modern car. I do not like blaring lights in my face at night.

For the record, I'm fine with a dead head, I just want something to run a 4ch amp and a small sub. An old tape deck will work too so long as it has the input and outputs I mentioned, or they can be added, I know someone who can. Also, I'm picky about sound quality, and I've already chosen the speakers and amp I will be using, if it helps,

Kicker KS35 front 3.5" speakers

kicker KS410 rear speakers (If stock mounting will let them fit)

Kicker DX200.4 4ch amp

So, any advice on fitting something in this car that looks like it belongs, and sounds great would be appreciated.

There are companies that specialize in vintage car audio, head units with modern features but retain the classic style. Here's a couple:

Classic Car Radio | Vintage Car Audio - ClassicCarStereos.com

Vintage Car Radio .com

What I did for my 85 Olds Delta-88 was fabricate brackets and cut the dash face to fit a standard HU:

dash_panel.jpg

installed_hu.jpg

pioneer_hu.jpg

Pioneer had a few din and a half units but they are hard to find now that they are discontinued. But u might luck up on one . I think either here or on caco they had one recently

If you notice, my dash has a 1.5 DIN opening already, so I can't just cut fit the stereo and make it look flush. Sadly the stock shaft knob panel from the 86 is long gone. Either way I don't like the way modern head units look in my car. The classic car stereo's are pretty cool, and I have considered a retrosound unit, but again the shaft knob panel is gone.

However, if I do install a retrosound unit I will document the processes, should apply to most B bodies.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.