HC312 and AQ2200 isn't loud

jcarver
10+ year member

So i recently installed a HDC312 and an AQ2200 and the problem is it snit very loud, at least not what I would expect. To give you a little background I have some experience doing installs but nothing major. I built the box. Its 2.2cuft slot port at 36Hz. The sub sounds ok and can get loud so i don't think its with the sub or box. I think my problem lies in the amp but i could be wrong. heres what I have found. Oh and my head unit is the Scion SNS200. I guess it could be the head unit but its a $2000 unit and is bran new so idk. 120amp alternator, stock battery, big 3 done. Sub is a D2 wired in paralleled. DMM shows load at .08 at the amp less +.01 resistance of the dmm. So .09ohm load +rise. I tried the test below with test tones but music has the same problem.

****With these setting the system wont power the amp or sub to distortion. DMM showed 12.8v at the amp during test****

-high and low filtered turn as far down as possible so neither is interfering with

-bass boost off

-the gain turned 3/4 of the way up

-the sub preamps on the head unit are at max (+6)

-volume on head unit at 100%

****With these setting the system starts to get louder but wont distort the amp or sub. DMM showed 12.6v at the amp during the test****

-high and low filtered turn as far down as possible so neither is interfering with

-bass boost off

-the gain turned 100% of the way up

-volume on head unit at 100%

****With these settings I am able to push the amp to clipping (barley) DMM showed 12.1v at amp****

-bass boost 60%

-the gain turned 80% of the way up

-volume on head unit at 95-10%

So I dont know at this point. You shouldnt have to use base boost when running this amp at this load. Its like everything is all the way up to make it half way loud. Also note that the sub never reaches full excursion when the amp is at full tilt. Sub is rated at 1000rms 2000peak and amp is 2200 at 14.4v so i would guess 1900-2000 at 12.1 to 12.8.

Thanks all for any advice

and op you have to realize that it is not the best subwoofer out there. granted hd3's are nice but you cant expect too much out of them. and it is only 1 12.... you should be able to do at least a 140 IMO...

---------- Post added at 08:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

Leaks with being ported?
the only air that you want coming out of that box is from the port otherwise you will lose output.

Leaks with being ported?
If the rubber gasket is leaking out even a little air it looses tones of power, saw dumb kid at my school have those problems, once he sealed it (around the gasket, not the box, it was a ported box) it had much better SQ and power

sorry .9. supposed to be 1ohm. Its air tight less the port. I didnt set the gains properly because they have to be all the way up to get anything out of the amp. Setting gains is normally done so that you set in the right place and not to high. I couldnt see it getting louder as i turn the gains down for any reason (tried it anyway)

oh and nowhere near 140. I was hitting 142 with my solox10 and zx2500.1 at 2 ohms. This at max (3rd setting) where gain and bass boost almost all the way up is where the amp starts to reach its limit and clipps. Shouldnt you be able to push this amp to max much easier, at a lower volume or gains lower with no bass boost.

120 amp alt, stock battery, big 3. knukonceptz 1/0 all throughout with gold platen ring terminals. so a little on the light sight for this amp to say the least. I guess the part i don't get is its maintaining voltage at full tilt. So given there is some room for improvement but i wouldn't say enough to do this.

Would a bad ground cause this. I was thinking no because I can get it to hit hard but the gain has to be all the way up and some bass boost.

keep in mind were talking about a lack of clipping here. With all the setting (gain and bass boost) set way to high, the amp just starts to clip. To my understanding AQ recommends 2 hdc3's for a single aq2200. I understand thats a little under powered but the amp set at normal expected settings like gain 3/4 and bass boost off is getting no where near enough power and the amp isnt cipping or putting out full power.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.