Having touble understanding equalizers.

Participant count
  • Participant list

miker
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
Wayzata, MN
So an equalizer is in all headunits.. In general is it better to buy an external equalizer, or look for what you want in the headunit? Then there are graphic and parametric equalizers. Graphic are pretty straight forward, but I don't really understand parametric EQ's or what "Q" is..

Parametric just means you can choose the center frequency to be adjusted (within a given range), with graphic EQ's it's static and already chosen for you. The "Q" describes how much the frequencies on either side of the center frequency will be affected by your boosting/cutting. The higher the Q (perhaps 1.0 as opposed to 0.3), the narrower the bandwidth, meaning it will have less effect on the neighboring frequencies.

Here's a pretty decent visual of what I'm trying to articulate. The light blue curve is what needs corrected. On the left, the orange curve shows the result of the graphic EQ's compensation with static center frequencies and Q's. It takes a dip and turns it into a dip and a peak, not good. On the right, the orange curve shows how the parametric EQ can be adjusted to target the problem frequency and with the slightly narrower Q adjustment, it has less of an impact on the areas that don't really need it. The result is a lot less ripple.

ge_pe.gif

Parametric just means you can choose the center frequency to be adjusted (within a given range), with graphic EQ's it's static and already chosen for you. The "Q" describes how much the frequencies on either side of the center frequency will be affected by your boosting/cutting. The higher the Q (perhaps 1.0 as opposed to 0.3), the narrower the bandwidth, meaning it will have less effect on the neighboring frequencies.
Here's a pretty decent visual of what I'm trying to articulate. The light blue curve is what needs corrected. On the left, the orange curve shows the result of the graphic EQ's compensation with static center frequencies and Q's. It takes a dip and turns it into a dip and a peak, not good. On the right, the orange curve shows how the parametric EQ can be adjusted to target the problem frequency and with the slightly narrower Q adjustment, it has less of an impact on the areas that don't really need it. The result is a lot less ripple.

ge_pe.gif
Very nice. So based on this information the PEQ is the superior EQ? Or can the Graphic be just as good it just requires many more bands to get the same effect?

excellent graphic and response above.

there aren't a lot of parametric eq's on the market, and they have few bands for adjustment, typically 3-4 (unless you are digital). parametric EQ's are great when you know what to listen for. you can sweep the frequency to find the problem areas, then sweep the Q to nail down the desired width.

graphic EQ's can be octave band, 1/2 octave band, 1/3 octave band, etc. they are what people are used to seeing and are easier to adjust since there is less flexibility. here is a description on the limits of various octave bands

http://online.physics.uiuc.edu/courses/phys193/Labs/Octave_Bands.pdf

most head units have very basic EQ's - if you can call bass, mid, and treble an "EQ". some have 7-band or 15-band EQ's, few have more. having an EQ built into a head unit keeps the system simple but navigating to the EQ is different for each head unit and some are better than others.

external EQ's have to live somewhere so you have additional space being taken up, and you have additional wiring. adding to the complexity is that most have 2-ch input and 4-6ch output. this means you gain or lose flexibility depending on the head unit and your system setup.

each system is unique and each owner is unique. there is not one answer or setup for everyone. but with more input we can offer our suggestions based on experience helping people get what they need/want.

using an EQ requires knowing what it's actually doing to the signal and output. it also helps to know where the system's deficiencies are and if they can even be corrected with an EQ. an EQ can help most systems just as easily as it can hurt them (sound-wise). but the best thing is to start playing with it and use your ears.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.