Having issues with tunning gains and 0db and -3db test tones

SomeguyinPDX
10+ year member

GunHappy
I am running 2- AB XFL 1544 subs wired down to a 1ohm load. For power I have a RF T1500-1bdcp with a birthsheet stating (1890rms @ 1ohm running at 14.4vdc). My electrical is delivering a solid 14vdc under load. If my math is correct my speaker output is 1890wx1ohm=1890 and the sq. rt. of 1890 is 43.47v A/C.

Using a 0db 45hz tone and all eq, bass, and loudness setting to flat, I set my gains to 43.47 when I plugged my speakers back in and played the tone it was loud and clean. The problem is when I play music it does not get loud at all. While playing around with different setttings on my HU (Alpine 9887) I could only get it to sound good by turning my sub level to 13 out of 15 and turning the "Media Expander" to its highest setting. At this point it sounded loud and clean with no audible distortion. When I got back home I put the test tone back in with the HU still having the sub and media expander turned up and was reading 77v A/C !!!! I know if I played the tone with everything turned up I would be clipping the hell out of the amp and It would be very audible. I'm not sure what to do now. I tried resetting the gains using a -3db tone but it still isn't putting out on music!!!

I got my tones from ROE and am wondering if it's just recorded extra loud? or is music recorded quieter? I know my system should be able to get louder than it is right now but I don't want to damage my gear by just turing up the gains all willy nilly and "F" something up. Any help is appreciated.

Did you play your tone with hour subs unhooked or hooked up? Do it with them hooked up
No Sir, I did not have the subs connected. There was no load on the amp when I was setting the gains. I will reset the gains with the same tone and subs connected this time and get back to you with the results.

Google. Found a few good sites on there. Just search for test tones. Found one where you can type in the frequency and spl and it'll generate one for you. Free version gives you 10 second tracks.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.