hard rain + leaking hatch = BAD!!! advice?

G6Zero
10+ year member

Noob/Wannabe
wherever
alright it rained for 36 hours nonstop in this town i just moved to in PA. anyway, i was driving to work w/o any music playing but my amp was on. i get into the parking lot, and the subs start making this really low, loud noise. it gets real high, then low again. then the amp cuts out.

i look in the hatch of my camaro to discover 2 inches of water in my bathtub-like trunk. the amp's fuse was blown, so it may have protected the amp, but i don't know if amps will work after water contact while on.

i'm going to let it sit inside for a few weeks and let it dry out, do you guys think it will come back alive?

just let it evaporate. if nothings fried itll work fine.

its not like silicon and solder can get soggy.

you can't really see anything wrong with the amp... i haven't taken it apart since it's still under warranty and maybe i can pull something... but anyway imagaine a camaro's bathtub like trunk with 2 inches of water in it lol:(

And it's a hard, it's a hard...a hard rain's gonna fall...

Sorry, had to get that Dylan tune out of my head //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Speakers meeting water is never a good fate. Amps meeting water can be better, depending on how fast you move...standard recovery procedure for electronics meeting the drink is to throw them in distilled water first...having the electronics get soaked while operating is a bad thing.

If it's still under warranty, try to go that route. If they don't take it, I've got some quick and dirty methods for saving gear that goes in the drink...but usually if it's been a few days, it might be too late - hours are critical for things like this.

just let it evaporate. if nothings fried itll work fine.
its not like silicon and solder can get soggy.
I'm sorry, but actually that's the worst advice one could give.

If distilled water fell out of the sky, you'd be right - but in actuality, rain water, pond water, and any naturally-occured water that you could drop or spill on your gear is going to contain micro-particles, acid, dirt, grime, gunk, and various chemicals that are difficult to pronounce //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Left on PCB's, they can actually eat away at the substrate traces and you wouldn't know anything's up until it stops working days later. I've seen this happen to radios left out in the rain, where the solder traces simply vanished.

open it up and see if anything looks odd. rust?

becareful if your gonna power it up. have a hose ready or something just in case lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.