Harbor Freight table saw is terrible

Based

CarAudio.com Elite
Louisiana
My dad bought a table saw from Harbor Freight for whatever reason so I decided to put it together. I thought I was in real luck getting a free table saw. Well it *****. The fence is impossible to get parallel. So I can't make straight cuts. I might as well be using a jigsaw :/.

If you guys use a table saw, which one do you use? I'm interested in looking for a good one on Craigslist.

I bought a RIDGID TS3650 probably 10 years ago for $550, no regrets. Surprisingly quiet and smooth, great fence.

IMG_5301.JPG

I have and old Ryobi back when then were a metal base and have had it for years and she has made lots of cabinets and lots of other stuff. Is there no way to straighten the fence ? or modify it ? I also used the rigid one at work and its a nice unit too .

View attachment 26555974

Ryobi Bt 3100

I have and old Ryobi back when then were a metal base and have had it for years and she has made lots of cabinets and lots of other stuff. Is there no way to straighten the fence ? or modify it ? I also used the rigid one at work and its a nice unit too .
View attachment 26555974

Ryobi Bt 3100
the fence itself is straight. The problem is it's almost impossible to clamp it down parallel to the blade.

My dad bought a table saw from Harbor Freight for whatever reason so I decided to put it together. I thought I was in real luck getting a free table saw. Well it *****. The fence is impossible to get parallel. So I can't make straight cuts. I might as well be using a jigsaw :/.
If you guys use a table saw, which one do you use? I'm interested in looking for a good one on Craigslist.
Cheap Chinese JUNK probably!! Craftsman USED to be my go-to brains back when Craftsman was still make in the USA but that was years ago!

John Kuthe...

I have a ridgid job site saw, the one with the fold-able stand on wheels. Its ok but to be honest the fence needs adjustments too. That is pretty common on most newer saws and I have heard of people having ok luck with those hf saws you just may need to adjust the fence some more. I personally think that pretty much all the saws under 1000 are just a different level of junk but for casual box building they should all do it just fine.

Cheap Chinese JUNK probably!! Craftsman USED to be my go-to brains back when Craftsman was still make in the USA but that was years ago!
John Kuthe...
It's just frustrating because I thought a table saw would allow me to make straight cuts 100% accurately instead of having the guys at Home Depot do it half ***. Now I have to spend $500 on a table saw just so the fence will line up!

It's just frustrating because I thought a table saw would allow me to make straight cuts 100% accurately instead of having the guys at Home Depot do it half ***. Now I have to spend $500 on a table saw just so the fence will line up!
Yes, that's exactly what a good quality table saw should do for you.

John Kuthe...

I have a ridgid job site saw, the one with the fold-able stand on wheels. Its ok but to be honest the fence needs adjustments too. That is pretty common on most newer saws and I have heard of people having ok luck with those hf saws you just may need to adjust the fence some more. I personally think that pretty much all the saws under 1000 are just a different level of junk but for casual box building they should all do it just fine.
I agree ! Once you get used to it you can make it work, Now if your building a housefull of cabinets it may not be worth messing with but to make 5 or 6 cuts for a sub enclosure you should be able to make it work. Infact I made an 8' clamp on straight edge and usually just use my skill saw for most cuts as its much easier than getting table saw out and set up and finding someone to help you wrestle full sheets around on the table saw unless you set up outfeed tables to support material. How to Build a Simple Circular Saw Guide for Straighter Cuts Like these but 8' in length and I gurantee I can make just as acurate a cut as with any table saw. Now if you just wasnt to spend money this is a nice saw https://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-G0715P-Hybrid-Riving-10-Inch/dp/B006SJIEG4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487527559&sr=8-1&keywords=grizzly+g0771 and as I said before the Rigid posted above is good solid saw as well but with all of them your going to have learning curve to some extent.

Got a Craftsman that was handed down to me by my pops 30 years ago. Just replaced the motor little over a year ago. It's a tank and still cuts square with original fence....

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Got a Craftsman that was handed down to me by my pops 30 years ago. Just replaced the motor little over a year ago. It's a tank and still cuts square with original fence....
Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Ya but you could do it with a hand saw lol, U got mad skills bro !

The bigger the table and more rigid the fence obviously the better and my craftsman is not it. I bought an entry level on sale and i gave up on it so I now stick to eye and hand circular saw. It works best for me after screwing up a few times with my table saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Based

CarAudio.com Elite
Based
Louisiana
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from