Handmade/Tube Brands etc.

Participant count
  • Participant list

Vintage Man

Hello,

I am currently restoring a 69' Volkswagen Squareback. I am really into boutique/handmade/tube audio. There are certainly enough hand made/tube amps, preamps, and crossovers. But, i have yet to see a am/fm radio that is handmade/tube. Does anyone know of any radio to these specs? or any brands providing these?

Thanks!

Oh! and if you have any knowledge of handmade/tube brands of car audio that is boutique etc. Let me know also. Thanks guys!!

-V

There is only 1 tube am/fm radio headunit and its made by panasonic. Last one i seen was around 800 on ebay. As far as making one it would be easier to get a highend preamp head unit and build your own tube amp. Edcor can make you transformer for a 12V primary. As far as a vibrator which is what is needed to create the high voltage you can get them CHEAP. Just google search them. I have built a tube amp for my truck. But it does have a power supply fluctuation. But its a pair of 6bq5 in push pull paraellel.

Are you asking about tubes for car audio?? I have always wondered how tubes would tolerate the extra vibrations of a car. Like how would pre/driver tubes do with becoming micro-phonic with the extra vibrations...

you can put the shields and rings on the tubes to help. Butler and Milbert have been making tube amps for cars for years.
I have seen a few. I am just wondering how they fare.

Now for amps, are the hybrids or do they use tubes for output?

I have seen the hybrids before.

I know some preamp/driver's can be very finicky to vibrations.

I would love to hear a nice all tubed car system. I can see it now, an amp that is 20wpc

that has more balls than most 50 and 100 watt SS amps. That and heavy at that.( if they use good ole iron.)//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

I use a edcor power transformer with a vintage sansui output transformer. Again its only 17 watts per channel. The best part is I have a set of Image Dynamics mini horns for the tube amp to run. Yes it sounds absolutely awesome. Once I get this power supply issue squared away all will be good. If its any consolation I drove around on some pretty bumpy roads and all was well with the tube amp.

Butler makes hybrids. But Milbert has been making tube output amps. There around 3k or more to get a decently powered one.

Well the wifes unit will be run by all butler tube amps. Her system will consist of:

H/U - Denon DCT-R1

Processor - MS-8

Mid/tweet - HAT Legatia L3SE

Midbass - HAT Legatia L8SE

Subs - Custom 10's made by Resko, with Treo SSi motors

Mid/Tweet Amp - Butler TBD 275

Midbass Amp - Butler TBD 275

Sub Amp - Butler TBD 475 RCA's - Home made

I like it! Did not see what it uses for tubes but in the pic looks like a 6v6 and 12at/ax7's?? maybe?? Dam, I already have 2 tubed systems in my home..... I better not, the home gear cost enough-lol

6bq5 outputs push pull paraellel
I actually have an old Motorolla 3ch el84 amp here.

its SE for the l/r channels and PP for the bass ch.

about 4wpc l/r and 10-12 for the bass.

I have to say that I have liked every 6bq5/ela4 that I have herd so far.

Nice systems guys!!

I hope to get to hear one some day...

tube gear gets cheaper if you build the amps yourself. you can use anyone of a few schematics or a design you like. Keep it simple though small compact. The power transformer and the vibrator are the somewhat tough pieces. It will take edcor a week to make the transformer and it will take 2 weeks for the vibrator to arrive from canada.

There are a couple of versions of that motorola if you ever find the one that is all push pull its a keeper. But the amp you have is a nice one to listen to. Just for giggles you could order another power transformer and a vibrator and convert it to use in the car.

The butler tube driver 275 are nice they use 6SL7GT's in a tube buffer or output type stage. The rest of the amp is SS. They did alot of work to get 0 feedback. Similarly decware sells a similar output stage to piggy back a cd player to tape deck at home. Nice idea.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.