H20 in doors

Participant count
  • Participant list

budahbuddy803
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Aiken, SC
I have ruined a set of ID CX62s due to the water that gets in my doors when it rains. It seems to be a little bit of a bigger issue on the driver side than it does on the passenger side, but both speakers were damaged.

I took pictures a while back, but they shouldn't be needed because I am sure that's the issue. When I removed the driver side mid, there was water damage on the cone and the coils didn't have any resistance. I tore it apart and there was water on the voice coil.

I ordered the XS65s and put them in for two days while I was waiting for some cheap Daytons to run. In those two days, there was already a small amount of water damage to the center of the cone on the driver side.

I am running cheap Daytons now because I need to fix the water issue so I don't keep running through mids. The Daytons last because the cone isn't a paper material.

What is the best way to protect mids from water? I know they have those XTC or whatever things you can mount behind the driver, but I have read that they give a negative effect on sound.

The thing I don't understand is that the water drains from the doors (no standing water or anything), but I guess the moist, humid environment causes the issue. Anyone else have this problem and fix it or have any suggestions to mitigate this issue?

Maybe some cheap plastic Tupperware on the back side? I feel that will negatively effect the sound as well.

I know this probably isn't the best solution, but if you don't want to fix your window seal, could you run marine audio speakers? They should be more okay with the moisture. They are probably more expensive though too. Just a thought.

Well the cheap mids I have work and have lasted over a year before I switch to the cx62s. So I don't need marine speakers.

I have and would like to run the xs mids.

Maybe the window seals aren't very good but they aren't rotted and seem "normal"

Well the cheap mids I have work and have lasted over a year before I switch to the cx62s. So I don't need marine speakers.
I have and would like to run the xs mids.

Maybe the window seals aren't very good but they aren't rotted and seem "normal"
Check my 4sale thread

Run some tests, take off the door panel and poor water down the outside of the window and see if you can find anything.
Yeah, I guess I can do that.

---------- Post added at 02:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

Check my 4sale thread
Which one? What am I looking for?

I have ID XS mids that work fine. I am just scared to put them in my doors due to the issue I had with my CX mids.... water getting into the speaker.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.