h/u...one or two?

Participant count
  • Participant list

mrray13
10+ year member

uz some fegbags
IL
i am starting to build a daily driver /comp car in apx one week. last night, after about 8 buds, i thought it would be trick to run two h/u's. one inside the car for everdyay use, and a second, separate hook up outside the car somewhere for comp. here's the questions.........................

1) has anybody here done this? how?

2) is it has simple has "Y"ing off the rca's in front of the amp to provide it's input?

3)would it b better to have 2 sets of rca's, just unplug and plug in for the comp?

4)where would be a good place for the second unit hook up? it's an 86 firebird.

5) in it's simplest, all we need is a 12 volt source for the h/u and the rca's to run to the amp?

6)anything i missed?

7) if we decide(we will)later to add multiple amps, how does that affect hook up? will the amps pass thru's work here?

the idea is that this way, the other speakers aren't getting used during comp, eliminating any risk of damage to them and freeing up some amprege for the subs. what y'all think? there's nothing like that around here. would it work?be worth the effort?

thnx ahead.........................

I think you would save money by buying an HU w/ a remote. but..

1) Probably somewhere, probably using some sort of switch/many switches to switch b/w the 2 HUs.

2)Yes

3)That would be hard, the better way to do it would connect both HU's up normally...with both being connected to all your speakers, or maybe just your subs if you're doing spl. and use an inline switch on the acc wire to switch b/w each HU.

5)If you have some time/money/skills you could make some sort of panel on the outside of the car that flips open to reveal the second hu.

6)Not really

7)Yes, just use some RCA Y connectors to connect RCAs to from your amps to you HUs.

I don't think it would be worht the time/effort/money unless you have a really nice show car and need the added touch. just use a remote control.

the h/u in the car has a remote. we want to do something different.after some sober thinking, this is what i've come up with......

the h/u in the car will be turned off and the rca's unplugged from the sub amp. we will have a 12 volt source and rca hook-ups somewhere outside the car. then we'll plug in the outside source rca's to the sub amp(s) and hopefully pound away! we are thinking about a stand w/ the outside h/u installed, a set of rca's and power (harness style)supply cords aprx. 4 ft long to hook into the outside jacks.

think that'll work? the second h/u will have nothing to do w/inside speakers only subs. by unplugging the rca's from inside and plugging in the outsides, we should do away with any feedback. all that'll be on the outside of the car will b a harness hook for power only, and a set of female rca's to plug the outside h/u's into.

are there any switches made to switch between the rca's?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

mrray13

10+ year member
uz some fegbags
mrray13
IL
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date