Guiding me on removing the Headunit on this Nissan sunny

Sharif

SA
Issue number one, I can't look up the model due to the car being a design only present in few regions and it has the Samsung sm3's body

Note*

It's called sunny here, might be Almera or Sunny elsewhere

So far, this older model seems to have similar dash

Random image off google of the actual car

2011-Nissan-Sunny-in-the-UAE-7.jpg

Seems like I will be needing a trim removal tool if I don't want to leave dents, so hmmm

Here is another picture that was taken by me

View attachment 26555629

I will be installing a sony-cdx-gt290 head unit which is not being used in another car

(Yeah, I have read around many times about sony products not being great but I already have one and I am only using it due to the higher built-in amp max wattage. I am not looking for full upgrade, just replace it with a better speaker covering the lows,mids and highs, the current one is basically just mids and peaking highs)

If someone could point out a way or mindset to approach the dash removal, I am aware of clips and screws being well hidden (I barely have any past experience to find them easily)

If I can be any more informative, please tell me anything important I might have missed out =)

Solution :

Gently pull out the trim piece around the lever

You will find 2 screws under the head unit (In that inclined part, very easy to spot them as they are not covered)

Next gently pull the bigger trim piece and your set, good luck with your adventures

Last edited by a moderator:
It may serve you well to get the service manual for your specific car. It will probably have a section on removing the "radio" it is often called. I got the service manual for my car a 2006 Grand Caravan and it;s sometimes very helpful.

John Kuthe...

That's called a nissan sentra here in the US. Searching for nissan sentra may give you better luck finding online documents showing you how to get at the radio.

It shouldn't be too terrible to get at the radio.I replaced the head unit in a 2000 Sentra without much difficulty. I used a butter knife to get the trim piece pieces off, but I would strongly encourage you to find a trim removal tool. Also purchase a stereo wiring harness. The stereo wiring harness will make your life loads easier. When your pulling trim pieces off, be as gentle as you can and make sure they aren't getting hung up on something you didnt notice. Removing trim can be a pain in the @s$.

It may serve you well to get the service manual for your specific car. It will probably have a section on removing the "radio" it is often called. I got the service manual for my car a 2006 Grand Caravan and it;s sometimes very helpful.
John Kuthe...
That's called a nissan sentra here in the US. Searching for nissan sentra may give you better luck finding online documents showing you how to get at the radio.
It shouldn't be too terrible to get at the radio.I replaced the head unit in a 2000 Sentra without much difficulty. I used a butter knife to get the trim piece pieces off, but I would strongly encourage you to find a trim removal tool. Also purchase a stereo wiring harness. The stereo wiring harness will make your life loads easier. When your pulling trim pieces off, be as gentle as you can and make sure they aren't getting hung up on something you didnt notice. Removing trim can be a pain in the @s$.
Thank you for the information! I have figured it out with the help of the locals here.

For other googlers out there, basically you got to do this : (No tools required apart from a Philips head screwdriver)

• Gently pull out the trim piece around the lever
  • You will find 2 screws under the head unit (In that inclined part, very easy to spot them as they are not covered)
  • Next gently pull the bigger trim piece and your set, good luck with your adventures

Removing the trim is easy peasy! But removing it and retaining the integrity of the snap-on plastic connections to be able to reattach them can be a PITA! They were not designed/implemented to be reusable, but we can often reuse them if we are careful not to break them or pull out the plastic piece that's supposed to stay in the metal door panel (fixable).

I've/we've been doing a LOT of these things in my 2006 Grand Caravan "Baby II".

John Kuthe...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.