Grilles hindering notes

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hello.  2 CVX 10"s sealed in a regular cab truck.  I initially got the grilled because I thought by leaning the seat all the way back to the enclosures would damage the woofer during high excursion.  Well, it seems after watching them that the cone never really protrudes past the surround/gasket.

Since I am careful around the subs when I lean the seat forward AND the backside of the seats are soft carpeting (not springs like older trucks) I am interested in the sound difference between the sub with vs. without them.  I assume the grills do block some sound and fire it back into the cone.  I do not think a ported setup would care either way though.  

I have had them on the CXA1200 for about 18 months but don't get to 'let them float' too often so they are still gaining compliance.  Up to about half power they sound great on music and on bass tracks (excellent when warmed up and tuned in).  But after that point where they begin to actually 'get loud' they seem to fall flat and lose the deep resonant tone(s).  Maybe I am just used to 12"s, the grill is hindering them, they still need breaking in, or the recordings could use help.  BTW, the only time I have been COMPLETELY happy with my bass was a ported Vega 15 on a US200 at about 520 watts to the sub's 500wRMS.  So a 15 in a hatchback ported or large sealed is my ideal.  10s seemed to be the preferred route for a regular cab and I am really learning what SQ on music means with subwoofers with these two.

Much thanks!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.