Grille

actlsub
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
New York
Anyone know of a site that has a large selection of grilles? Ive found many rockford, audiobahn and other decent ones but since i have a jl12w6v2 i would rather not put a different brand grille for my sub. I dont like the mesh where it hides the sub either. Looking for some sort of metal frame.

Do you think that the 12"Polk grille will fit over and not interfere with the rubber suround of my 12w6v2?

19437791.jpg

19437808.jpg

If the W6v2 surround is the same as the W7, then I would have to say no, it wouldn't work. In fact, I don't know of any existing grill design that could work with the new JL rubber surround, because it sticks out so far. Unless you're willing to custom fabricate one, the only solution I can see would be to build a box that has the sub slightly recessed and then cover it (sort of like a bandpass design), but that would be a lot of work, and seeing as you already have a box, it's not a good solution.

So what do i do then, i kinda need some protection, and i dont think i could make one myself. Any other suggestions???

Originally posted by actlsub So what do i do then, i kinda need some protection, and i dont think i could make one myself. Any other suggestions???
Does you local shop(Or Circuit City/Best Buy, whatever...) carry them? Maybe they would let you test one out and see if it would work.

- Steve

I think I'm gonna try to make my own...the little mesh kinds don't look like they'd cut it for the abuse my grille might have to take //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Any suggestions on materials/design? Can it be done without welding? I do like how the mesh type grilles keep dirt off the sub...

I'm thinking something like this...like an actual barbecue grille. Ha ha //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Originally posted by B&R Innovations Get alum rods and a pipe bender

and use just 2-3 very thin ones to span a few " above the JL
What's a "pipe bender?" Like this?

pipe_bender.jpg

Remember...I'm just a girl //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Looks like it to me.

Instead of purchasing one, the Metal Shop at your local high school should be able to help you:)

- Steve

Originally posted by azngurlbaybee What about sticking them together? Anything short of welding gonna keep it together?
i think welding WILL keep them in place, but how're you to clean up the discolored rods afterwards? a recessed box isn't that hard, if you've got extra MDF to use. Use another layer on the face of the subs, and only this time, cut holes to the outer dimension (i.e., 10", 12", etc) and stick that panel in the front. Then you've got a bit more space (equal to what thickness of MDF you use) to allow subs to move...then I guess you're option to more options on grills...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

actlsub

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
actlsub
New York
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date