gotta love texas

cm2658
10+ year member

lovely
I learned the other day its 100% legal to have a loaded pistol in my vehicle at most any time, of course except a few Government facilities and whatnot.. heres the law copied and pasted from state of Texas website

Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:

(1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or

(2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control.

(a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control at any time in which:

(1) the handgun is in plain view; or

(2) the person is:

(A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic;

(B) prohibited by law from possessing a firearm; or

© a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section 71.01.

(a-2) For purposes of this section, "premises" includes real property and a recreational vehicle that is being used as living quarters, regardless of whether that use is temporary or permanent. In this subsection, "recreational vehicle" means a motor vehicle primarily designed as temporary living quarters or a vehicle that contains temporary living quarters and is designed to be towed by a motor vehicle. The term includes a travel trailer, camping trailer, truck camper, motor home, and horse trailer with living quarters.

(b) Except as provided by Subsection ©, an offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

© An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree if the offense is committed on any premises licensed or issued a permit by this state for the sale of alcoholic beverages.

what a wonderful world //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

without reading all that you are also allowed to carry a handgun around town in public places as long as its visible. on your belt or whatever as long as its in a holster and visible. same rule would apply that you cant take it in govt or state run facilities though.

without reading all that you are also allowed to carry a handgun around town in public places as long as its visible. on your belt or whatever as long as its in a holster and visible. same rule would apply that you cant take it in govt or state run facilities though.
You might want to double check that, I think it changed in 07 at the same time they removed the "traveling" requirement from carrying a loaded pistol in the vehicle. Could be wrong but I remember something about it changed.

no you cannot carry handgun in public in texas unless you have your CHL.. However, you can LEGALLY walk down the road with a long gun(rifle/shotgun) in ur hand, but most definitely not a handgun.. the exceptions to being able to carry a long gun in public are govt/public places as well as any business thats posted that theyre not allowed as well as any business that makes at least 50% of their money from the sale of alcohol(lol, makes sense)...

Yup I had my CHL when I was in texas in 08 and can carry a hand gun loaded in the car, you just better have that card if you get pulled over lol. And places where if it exceeds a certain percentage of sales from alcohol, but I remember seeing some interiew about changing that law and allowing people to carry them in bars too.

the thing about why the murder rate not rising is primarily because most the people who would be doing the murdering are either:

not able to legally own a hangun due to being a felon, crazy, illegal, etc..

OR

own a handgun thats not registered to them or stolen

so in either way its still illegal for them to have the gun in their possession and theyre going to jail if it is in their possession, so therefore this law doesnt really have an effect on the murder rate nor does it allow the 'bad guys' to carry a gun in their vehicle..

The gun range where I went to get the class and finger printing told me some guy went to his class and submitted his prints and lol he was wanted for some crim in another state and busted him lol.

Yeah the CHL applies to carrying a handgun while in public, but anyone who can legally own a handgun car carry a loaded handgun in their vehicle without having a CHL, the gun just cant be in plain sight because itd cause a 'breach of the peace.' I carry my 380 with me everywhere I go and I do not have a CHL and have gotten pulled over once, and since I'm young of course they wanted to search my vehicle, and I made sure to let them know I had the gun in my car, they didnt seem to like that, but they ran the serial of the gun and my info and all was well for me..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.