Good Sub for a PUNCH 250 and Ported Box?

Participant count
  • Participant list

IowaBoomer
10+ year member

I am new to the car scene, and I am starting to move up in the ranks a little bit.

I got a PUNCH 250 watt 2 channel amp (the older ones, like aII or something like that)and a HELLA NICE concert style, all blakc fiberglass box that pounds like a mofo.

The port is monsterous, nearly the size (height) of the whole box and about 3'' across. It made my Audiobahn 1251 (a lower level sub, according to what I have been looking at) sound like a winner. I got it for $55 shipped, so it works ok for me.

Now I am looking into upgrading. My local shop sells JL, MTX, Kicker, Alpine, RF, and Eclipse, at right below retail. I am looking to spend around 250 tops on a new sub to use with this amp/box setup. Their prices include install and most have a 2 year, over the counter warrenty.

I could go over the net if a deal REALLY strikes my eye, but that warranty (no ? asked warranty, even blown) sounds awful good to me.

what does everyone suggest? I am either looking into a JL12W3 or an Alpine 12'' R series. I am looking at 12'' subs ONLY.

Thank you very much.

Out of the subs you listed, that amp might not put out enough. Definitly not enough for the Type R, maybe for the W3. I know that JL underrates their subs, I have a JLW0, and it took 400 RMS from my MTX amp fine for quite a while, so the W3 would be a better choice for your amp.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif

I gaurentee this amp is super powerful. The way I had it wired (both negs in the left pos, both pos in the right pos), it pushed a very decent amount of power. And don't forget that RF generally VERY underrates amp power.

My guy at my local shop said that amp is almost perfect for a 12W3.

for what it sounds like, your ss needs a good ol' 12" sub

wouldrecomend a phoenix gold (thats whats I've got)

its an MX400 I think, its around 400 watts pumping in a sealed box, pushed by a rockford punch 600 amp.

It is an Xcelnt sounding set up.

so I would HIGHLY recomend getting a phoenix t match your rockford:cool:

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.