Good ground for a 2004 Chevy Cavalier?

ogpayne

Hello and thanks for reading, my subs are cutting out once I turn the volume too high and I was told the ground may be bad, so I'm going to try to find a new one, I have it ground under the furnishing behind the back seats, I thought it was good but I need to change it to see if that's what's causing the subs to cut out. I heard a good ground would be in the trunk under the little flap where the spare tire goes, does anyone have any experience with this, or know of a good ground?

Hello and thanks for reading, my subs are cutting out once I turn the volume too high and I was told the ground may be bad, so I'm going to try to find a new one, I have it ground under the furnishing behind the back seats, I thought it was good but I need to change it to see if that's what's causing the subs to cut out. I heard a good ground would be in the trunk under the little flap where the spare tire goes, does anyone have any experience with this, or know of a good ground?
The most important thing is to sand or grind the paint off the chassis and get the ground lug fully contacting bare metal. Did you do this? Most chassis are painted or coated - even if it looks like bare metal, you still need to sand it. I am not familiar with your model-year, can you post some photos of the two spots you are talking about?

Not sure how many watts you are trying to push, but have you tried doing the 'big three' upgrade too?

The most important thing is to sand or grind the paint off the chassis and get the ground lug fully contacting bare metal. Did you do this? Most chassis are painted or coated - even if it looks like bare metal, you still need to sand it. I am not familiar with your model-year, can you post some photos of the two spots you are talking about?
Not sure how many watts you are trying to push, but have you tried doing the 'big three' upgrade too?
820 watts. I have not tried the big 3. Should I? And no I haven't sanded it down, this was my first install and I didn't hear about that, I will when I get home. I'll also post pics when I get off work.

Drill a hole somewhere that you can reach both sides, sand it down to bare metal, screw amd washer with nut on other end and tighten.

We did this same chevy and youre right there was nothing to tap into. The bolts for seats are painted etc etc . We eventually just drilled a hole and grinded off the paint then used a nut and bolt to tighten down.

Also how you are wired is more important now. If you are bridged lower than 4ohm it's going to cut off

I'm really not sure man, I'm so new to this, I'm talking to the guy that helped me install it about everything, I will have to take a look at it with him when I get off work.. Would it be a better idea to just buy a better amp? I have some play money and I'd really like to get into this stuff cause I am having a lot of fun. It's just a bummer to spend all this money to have it cut off and not know anyone that can physically help me, and I know Im not much of a help to those trying to help me on here but I'm trying lol.

If you really want to get into the hobby and you said you have play money... what kinda budget are you in... let's get this kid really bumping ; p
Wel I don't want to spend too much, I want to be fairly smart about my money! I already have 2 12s and a stereo that I like. The only thing I see myself buying from here on are a better amp, another 2 or 3 12s, not likely but possibly some mids and tweeters, then I believe I'd probably need to have some other stuff to run this all without blowing my battery up, correct?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.