Good four channel amps!

acousticguitar
how about the monitor mk470

you can find it at infinitecaraudio.com for ($175.00)

amplifier spec are:

70x4 at 4 ohm stereo

100x4 at 2 ohm stereo

200x2 at 4 ohm mono/bridge

look in the 2002 car audio directory ultimate buyers guide

look in section car amplifers then look under (arc audio)
Keep in mind that amp is a gain block only.....no internal xovers, bass boosts, EQ's, etc. Just a gain knob and that's it.

Now am I really going to hear a difference b/w say a Monitor MK470, a PPI amp or a cheaper Profile CL if they are all rated similarly? In terms of pure SQ, is there going to be much difference? And if so, does each amp brand have a specific tonal quality? (like company1 is sharper, company2 is warmer, etc etc)

Now am I really going to hear a difference b/w say a Monitor MK470, a PPI amp or a cheaper Profile CL if they are all rated similarly? In terms of pure SQ, is there going to be much difference? And if so, does each amp brand have a specific tonal quality? (like company1 is sharper, company2 is warmer, etc etc)
Welcome to the age old question........do amps have sound quality? Some say yes, some say no.

I love PPI!!!!!! I have found the PC and PCX series amps to be wicked for SQ. I have a PCX 440 on a 6' and 1' comp set and they are niccccce. I have also owned the pc4100 and let me tell you......my head is still ringing from the f***in volume i could get my focal comp set up to! They are sick, sick I tell you.

wonderful... for those who DO think there is such a thing, could anyone care to explain WHY they think so and WHAT qualities certain amps have?
Here is it from Dan Wiggins:

http://forum.soundillusions.net/article.php?a=214

GSteg asks "Is there really a SQ difference between amps that puts out about the same amount of power?"

My take: yes. A Watt is a Watt' date=' sure. It's a defined amount. But not all amps with the same power will sound the same. You can have frequency response differences, THD/IMD, S/N, dynamics linearity and other differences between amps.

Many have taken the whole "a Watt is a Watt" fact to mean that all amps will sound the same. To those I say take a listen to a 20W Fender bass guitar cab amp with an old tube and a 20W Pass Labs class A unit. Just the bandwidth differences alone will make it easy to distinguish!

Can you hear a difference between a 90 minute cassette and an 80 minute CD? Wow and flutter, rumble, S/N, bandwidth are all different, even if the amount of music covered on each medium is the same.

This also gets into the whole "audio jewelry/tweak" region of things. You know, cryo treated cables, wood disks in the listening room, green ink on the edges of your CD, etc. Many who (wrongly) espouse that all amps of the same power sound about the same also poo-poo these tweaks. But in fact I believe they are wrong.

You see, there's more to hearing than just the physics of the sound. We don't just hear, we perceive. And this means the physical act of reception of an acoustical wave (hearing) and interpreting the received waveform (perception). Perception - by definition - includes our mental state - our "take" - on the sound. Anyone who's worked in audio development for products for multiple cultures will quickly learn what one culture considers as bass heavy, another will think of as bass shy. Same sonic/acoustic event, but perceptually different.

I think this needs to be considered when discussing audio tweaks and sound quality. Often times a person will "prefer" a cable over another. Not because of any audible difference (ABX testing bears this out). But because of what they are EXPECTING to hear. Perception - visual, and often tactile when installing the cables - will color perception, and lead to a perceived change in the sound.

Did the sonic event change? Usually not (unless the cable is REALLY bad stuff). But the way your brain perceives the sonic event may have changed. And that means your PERCEPTION changed. What you perceive changed.

So, to sum up: amps can sound different, from just a technical standpoint. But more than that, amps can affect our perception of the sound, and that is - in the final analysis of what you experience as sound - just as important as a technical change.

Well, that's about all for now! Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and see you next time at the Chalk Board!

Dan Wiggins

Adire Audio[/quote']

wow. i asked that question for the heck of it and he answered. nice one dan //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/2thumbs.gif.fdc3ba010dbb42b61704534b46d02fe4.gif

I don't know about the other 2 but I do have the Clarius 640 and that sucker rocks. Best $100 AMP imho.

Its only rated at 75x4 but I can't imagine a "say $300" AMP with similar wattage being $200 better.

mine owns all...lol fosgate 800.4..
No MINE owns all. =P (see sig for 4.channel)

Fosgate Power 1500.4

125 W x 4 @ 4 Ohms RMS

250 W x 4 @ 2 Ohms RMS

375 W x 4 @ 1 Ohms RMS

500 W x 2 @ 4 Ohms Bridged RMS

750 W x 2 @ 2 Ohms Bridged RMS

This bad boys awesome... can handle almost any config i set it to.

No MINE owns all. =P (see sig for 4.channel)
Fosgate Power 1500.4

125 W x 4 @ 4 Ohms RMS

250 W x 4 @ 2 Ohms RMS

375 W x 4 @ 1 Ohms RMS

500 W x 2 @ 4 Ohms Bridged RMS

750 W x 2 @ 2 Ohms Bridged RMS

This bad boys awesome... can handle almost any config i set it to.
all yours owns is real estate on your ride! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.