good amp to power one 300w RMS/1230w peak sub

Participant count
  • Participant list

twich12
10+ year member

sub

deck/receiver

SUGGEST! i know its not the best sub but its plenty for what i want it for, my current amp is garbage and it cuts in and out (getting worse lately so im finally looking into it)

edit: budget- okay well im looking to spending less than 300 on an amp, i dont care if its used or not (as long as its in good condition)

Last edited by a moderator:
1230W is the model number of the sub, not the peak power rating. Ignore peak power ratings as they're all meaningless, whether it's on speakers or amplifiers. Around 300W is fine for that subwoofer. It most likely can handle more than 300W in the recommended sealed volume but for your experience level I wouldn't recommend it as it depends on many factors. As an installer I have to recommend you buy the amp from an authorized dealer due to the benefits it usually entails at the expense of higher up-front costs.

i have no problem with installation i just am unsure of which brands are quality.... i know its 4 ohms , I was thinking of bridging a 2-channel amp since it would be very cost effective

You really got to work on that budget... Figure out what you're willing to spend. If you're willing to spend $300 for a sub and amp, and don't mind buying used, you can have some really great choices. If you have a $300 budget and MUST buy new, you have a few, really mediocre choices. And if it's less than that, and you're buying new, you should just be waiting a couple more months to raise that budget.

1230W is the model number of the sub, not the peak power rating.
Thanks, u saved me a click!

(I read that shiz about 300WRMS, 1230W Peak, and was like wtf?! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif )

i have no problem with installation i just am unsure of which brands are quality.... i know its 4 ohms , I was thinking of bridging a 2-channel amp since it would be very cost effective
Just get a mono amp for the sub. I never understand why people get a 2-channel just to bridge it. You want a mono Class D and a subsonic filter, if you're ever going to use a ported box. Usually a brand's 2-channel amps are Class AB while the monoblocks are Class D. You want the more efficient Class D topology.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.