Glue

the loctite wood glue from walmart is MUCH stronger than the titebond II and its also alot thicker and doesnt run nearly as much

i glued 2 pieces of mdf together with titebond and with loctite .. clamped them togeher then did a stress test between the 2... lets just say the wood broke before the loctite let go //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

the loctite wood glue from walmart is MUCH stronger than the titebond II and its also alot thicker and doesnt run nearly as much
i glued 2 pieces of mdf together with titebond and with loctite .. clamped them togeher then did a stress test between the 2... lets just say the wood broke before the loctite let go //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
I like Elmer's Probond more than Titebond II, but only Home Depot has it, and I will only go there is Lowes is out of MDF.

Good tip. May have to try it.

x23452345 on titebond(i like II) or good ol' Elmer's wood glue.

Where's all the liquid nail foos? Not up yet?!?!?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Gorilla glue definitely has it's place in woodworking. More of a grained wood repair glue though. It is made to epxand and help repair things like table/chair legs and such. VERY strong in that application.

I wonder if the O.P. source of woodworking information thought it'd be a good idea to put screws in every 4 inches or so too!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I like gorilla glue. I like how it expands. My boxes don't leak //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Neither does silicone //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

from carpenters at woodworking.com

read from the pros.

they talk about all sort of wood glues.

but here is a quote that made the most sence.

"from - MadMark: Your old standby "carpenters yellow" will form a bond stronger than the wood. Once you're beyond the wood failure point, does it really matter how far you're beyond it? The reasons for using alternate glues are not normally issues of strength, but of cost, application method, pot life, work time, setup time, water resistance, etc. Most any of the glues, properly applied will be stronger than the wood itself."forum link

from carpenters at woodworking.comread from the pros.

"from - MadMark: Your old standby "carpenters yellow" will form a bond stronger than the wood. Once you're beyond the wood failure point, does it really matter how far you're beyond it? The reasons for using alternate glues are not normally issues of strength, but of cost, application method, pot life, work time, setup time, water resistance, etc. Most any of the glues, properly applied will be stronger than the wood itself."forum link
Okay, and...

I was wondering what type of glue you guys use. I personnally use Tite bond 2. My girlfriends dad keeps telling my that I should use gorilla, because they will be stronger. I have had know problem with the titebond 2, so I was wondering what everyones favorite glue for building boxes.
i use both gorilla glue seem like a stronger bond. then titebond II. but like stated above is a debate. they both work great. they sell gorilla glue in a very small container so you can give it a try and see how you like it.
No, again, it isn't a debate. It's science. Wood glue bonds the two pieces of wood CHEMICALLY, which makes it so that the wood itself will actually split before the glue joint does. In other words, when properly used, a wood joint will outlast the box itself.
Gorilla and other polyurethane glues just bond it strongly, but don't actually guarantee any real strength.

Okay, and...
let me put it real easy for you.

preaty much any repectable brand of glue that advertises it self as being able bond two pieses of wood together will be strong enogh for building an enclosure.

now the reason i state that i like gorilla glue is because it has expanding properties wich forces it self for better area cover with less use of glue. the gorilla glue it self is stronger then titebond II, thats why you can use it for more then just bonding wood. is my preference. i dont use it on every enclosure i build because of cost titebond II cost less then gorilla glue.

thats all.

anything else you whant to know?

Well, if cost is the case, you definatly need to stay away from gorilla glue.

let me put it real easy for you.
preaty much any repectable brand of glue that advertises it self as being able bond two pieses of wood together will be strong enogh for building an enclosure.

now the reason i state that i like gorilla glue is because it has expanding properties wich forces it self for better area cover with less use of glue. the gorilla glue it self is stronger then titebond II, thats why you can use it for more then just bonding wood. is my preference. i dont use it on every enclosure i build because of cost titebond II cost less then gorilla glue.

thats all.

anything else you whant to know?
It's fact bud. Wood glue bonds stronger than gorilla glue.

Gorilla glue did not hold as strong as some liquid nail wood glue I just recently tested with. It was also more frustrating to use and I had an accident with it that cost me a shop towel. So far, I have enjoyed elmer's wood glue the best but I have never used titebond but plan on using it for my next build.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.