givin a try with boxes

Participant count
  • Participant list

Matador
10+ year member

-= StillBumping =-
Ca
sup y'all. i decided to give it a try n make my own box, for 2 10''L5s. there's this thing in home depot where u can borrow tools, so hopefully that will help since i need cutting materials.

but i was wondering, i'll prob give 0.80-.90 cu feet to each chamber. the best is to make the box out of MDF? or is wood better? what's MDF really, i dunno. n glue n nails is better to interconnect the sides?

also, right now i have 1 10'' sub in a sealed enclosure, prob ~0.7 cu feet. i tried facing it forward tor the front of the car, n backwards tor the trunk. when i face it tor the trunk there's more bass or feel it more, but the trunk/car rattles more. while if i face it for, less bass less rattle. i alreayd dynamated my trunk, i'll prob put a 2nd layer cuz it still rattles. but, if i can avoid that better. since i m gonna make a box near the max recommended volumes for the L5s (max rec is 1.0), n since they gonna see a lot of power ~1000-1200rms total, i was wondering if there will be much diff in facing the subs fwd or backwards? would the turnk rattle less but still give me great bass if fwd? the reason i m asking is that i wanna make one of the sides slanted (facing tor the seat), so is either put the subs in the slanted side(facing fwd) or put them facing the trunk (in the straight side). //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/banghead.gif.8606515f668c74f6de0281deb475b6fd.gif

i appreciate any help

i m not sure how much room i have, but i dont' wanna use my whole trunk. i ma use half my trunk. i m guessing ~4.5 cu feet, for the half i m gonna use

hmm, after displacement? do u guys know how much displacement would the L5 make in the box? n yeah i want more SQ than SPL. prob 65% SQ n 35% SPL

what bout the orientation? (look in the top)

i just measured how much space i m willin to use. it's roughly 36''x18''x16'' ~ 6 cu feet if i m right, total/(12x12x12)?

i have a panasonic cq-df802u. it aint an alpine, but the alpine is the next one i m gettin.

actually, that owuld be cu inches instead of cu feet?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif :confused:

coo, thanks jmac.

one las question tho. the L5s are square, i m gettin a 10''. to cut the square, how does the L5s measure? 10'' each side making it a square? or 10'' diagonally?

thanks jmac.

is there any difference if i make 2 single boxes rather than one big box with separate chambers? it would be same dimmensiosn for each chamber, probably ~ 1.2 cu feet for each chamber or for each box. Since it's 2 different chambers, i was wondeirng this.

to separate the chambers, you still use the 3/4'' MDF?

i like the reason for #3, hopefully they won't even try to get in, cuz they'l be sorry.

one last question, i am thinking of putting like plexiglass, or like a glass in the back, what kind of glass or plastic is recommended? (you 'll be able to see the back of the subs thru the glass)

thanks

with lots of wood glue?

also, is it coo if i spray the inside of the box with dynamat? i still have half a can or so of dynamat can, so i was wondering if i will gain anything by spraying some sound deading material.

Plexiglass is a lot more flexible than MDF, even the 1" stuff will flex if it is a large enough piece. But it can be braced and secured to where it doesn't really matter as much(key term "as much"). I don't know how to seal it exactly because I have never worked with it in a sub box application.

As far as dynamat, don't worry about it. It shouldn't make any audible difference if it is there or not. It is meant to change the resonant frequency of the material it is sprayed on, with 3/4" MDF, it won't really matter.

Ask the more experienced members of the board if you need to know more(or if they want to correct me:D ).

does anyone know if putting sound deadening spray inside the box will affect the sound? how so?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.