Gckless's Panels by 04Murdalanche

gckless
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
San Antonio
Wasn't going to post a separate thread outside of my build log, but in light of recent events I decided to.

So, I shipped these panels to him on the 4th. We agreed that I would get them back in time in time for Texas Heatwave (which was on the 5th), and that he would try to make a sealed chamber on the back. The sealed chamber wasn't necessary if he couldn't do it, but I wanted it done if he could.

So I asked a couple times for progress pics, but he didn't get those to me. Really not too big of a deal, just got the vibe that he was behind schedule and didn't want to show me. So then the 1st rolls around, which was the date we agreed he would get them out by, and the shipping labels haven't arrived. Said Boomsday who he gets the labels from shipped them out the week before. Still was asking for pics, didn't get them. Missed Heatwave.

Now today, he tells me that he couldn't wrap the panels in vinyl because there's a curve and it wrinkles around it, so it would have to either be stitched (which he can't do because he doesn't have a sewing machine, understandable) or he find some other way to cover them. He suggested textured paint with black over the top. I told him don't worry about covering it then, I'll get it done myself.

He just sent me these pics and tracking number saying they shipped:

They don't look too bad. They aren't molded super well into the rest of the door, but the glass and smoothing work looks pretty good. The right pod looks lower than the left one, kinda worried about it clearing the trim panels on the floor.

All in all I can't say I'm upset, based on these pictures. I'll post updates when I get them and get eyes on.

Sooooo, just got them in my hands.

First, I sent him grill cloth to use for the grills that I asked him to make if he could. He ended up using that to wrap and resin them with. I asked him to send back the excess. I also paid for vinyl, and asked him to send that too. Neither were in the box.

Photos:

So all in all it's bush league, but workable.

BUT OH WAIT, I FORGOT ABOUT THIS:

They're not even fucking mounted! Pissed off. No real way to get them mounted either without a decent amount of work, including glasswork, which I was trying to avoid, the whole reason I sent them out.

In a way he might have saved me. He didn't screw my panels up (those holes I cut), so I might be able to use the doors still.

But I still can't glass well.

This might've been covered elsewhere, but after the whole Timmy incident why did you still send them to this hack artist?

[quote name='Sleeklsc']This might've been covered elsewhere, but after the whole Timmy incident why did you still send them to this hack artist?[/QUOTE]

I sent them beginning of last month. Before anyone knew about the outstanding work he did, and before the Timmy incident came to light. In fact, the stuff he posted before (on facebook anyway) was pretty decent, much better than the work he did here. Timmy did tell me about him, but was after I paid. I felt roped in already and kinda hoped it wasn't as bad as he made it seem.

You were right @Timmy13091 ;.

Ouch. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/blackeye.gif.66a1670f5aaf7f406e783a63e3387dc5.gif

[quote name='gckless']I sent them beginning of last month. Before anyone knew about the outstanding work he did, and before the Timmy incident came to light. In fact, the stuff he posted before (on facebook anyway) was pretty decent, much better than the work he did here. Timmy did tell me about him, but was after I paid. I felt roped in already and kinda hoped it wasn't as bad as he made it seem.

You were right @Timmy13091 ;.[/QUOTE]

Dates > Sleeklsc

Never pay up front for labor. There is no incentive for the person to do the work or do a good job. Whether it is a mechanic, ac repair, home repair, car audio because you are stuck with what they give you, if they give you anything at all. hopefully they don't just high tail it with your money. A small deposit up front is understandable though.

So I paid $100 up front, and shipping both ways, which totaled $60. We agreed I would pay the rest on October 15th, and he said the total would be $300-400 depending on how hard they would be. I'm not paying him any more. Also not filing a claim, not sure it's worth it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

gckless

5,000+ posts
CarAudio.com Veteran
gckless
San Antonio
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies