Fuses question!

Participant count
  • Participant list

dustyshot
10+ year member

I got in front inline agu fuse of 60amp, then I got distribution block in back with two maxi 30amp fuses to one amp crunch 1100.2 with two 30 amp fuses on amp, and the other amp fusion with 40amp fuse. Does this sound right for what it needs or do I need to change the inline fuse to higher?

What size cables are you running? Your cable size will dictate what size fuse. If it's a 4awg you want ideally ~135A of fusing, or somewhere around there. You'll have to get another fuse block though, as AGU's largest are 60A iirc.

You want your main fuse up front to protect the cable and not necessarily the amplifiers, as they have some protection already.

You can use this for reference:

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

What size cables are you running? Your cable size will dictate what size fuse. If it's a 4awg you want ideally ~135A of fusing, or somewhere around there. You'll have to get another fuse block though, as AGU's largest are 60A iirc.You want your main fuse up front to protect the cable and not necessarily the amplifiers, as they have some protection already.

You can use this for reference:

American Wire Gauge table and AWG Electrical Current Load Limits with skin depth frequencies
I am using 4 gauge.

This site has been recommended on this site by many other on what to use:

FUSES

and it says these recommendation that are lower than what you are recommending:

Wire Gauge Recommended

Maximum Fuse Size

00 awg 400 amps

0 awg 325 amps

1 awg 250 amps

2 awg 200 amps

4 awg 125 amps

6 awg 80 amps

8 awg 50 amps

10 awg 30 amps

12 awg 20 amps

14 awg 15 amps

16 awg 7.5 amps

These are the recommended maximum fuse ratings for the corresponding wire size. Using a smaller fuse than what's recommended here will be perfectly safe.

From what I saw on BCAE1 max is 125 amps for 4 gauge wire, and that is MAX. Also more than needed is not good just as much as having too low of fuse.

The 135 is max from the link you showed too. It also says in red on that page that the typist is not a professional. Oh and what is the point of putting the MAX in the fuse inline? Is that cutting it close to hurting the system? From searching online agu is recommended for basic car audio anyways unless its 1000 watts RMS and up. I only got 750 RMS in system now.

EDIT:

Here is a link to where there are 100 amp agu fuses.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_3396_Hitron+AGU100.html

Just wondering why people say the max agu fuse is 60?

if you blow it, youll find out you need a bigger one, and thats not smartass talk. you really should match your inline fuse rating to the total amps on the fuses from your amps.

example, if you have an amp that has 2 30 amp fuses in it, you would want to run AT LEAST a 60 amp inline fuse.

if you were to say add another amp that had 1 30 amp fuse in it, then your inline fuse should be AT LEAST 90 amps.

overkill on your inline fuse will not harm anything. you could run a 300 amp inline fuse, with the amps i just used as an example, and be fine.

the ratings you put are correct, those are just explaining the maximum amount of current you are gonna get through that size wire.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

dustyshot

10+ year member
dustyshot
salt lake city, UT
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from