free air? what other choice do I have

I am installing an 8" infinity subwoofer in the place of the factory bose 8 that came in my 02 infiniti I35, and I do not know if free air will do the job. is free air going to be all that terrible?
So do you mean that it would be installed in the rear deck much like a rear speaker. If so you are refering to somewhat of an "infinite baffle" enclosure. The trunk acts as the enclosure.

How much power are you feeding it? Are you just hooking it to the factory wiring? My guess is you will be much more satisfied with giving it its own enclosure.

depends on many factors. i love running the Ultra Subs A-12 in a free air setup - but i built a reinforced wall for that purpose. the main issue with just bolting to a flimsy rear deck is the deck itself will move, and not as one but with modes and nodes (like waves in a tub). if you stiffen, and seal the rear deck - it will produce more bass than the stock sub ------ as long as you have a dedicated amp for it. if you just want to use the Bose amp then forget about it.

depends on many factors. i love running the Ultra Subs A-12 in a free air setup - but i built a reinforced wall for that purpose. the main issue with just bolting to a flimsy rear deck is the deck itself will move, and not as one but with modes and nodes (like waves in a tub). if you stiffen, and seal the rear deck - it will produce more bass than the stock sub ------ as long as you have a dedicated amp for it. if you just want to use the Bose amp then forget about it.

The easiest route imo is building a box. Strengthening the deck correctly is much more effort than making an enclosure.

It can work as long as you know the results you are going to get. My dad had the same car and his sub died and I have seen others replaced. He used the factory spot and went with a different free air sub and a small amp. He also was not trying to set an SPL record and just wanted fill. Throw a little bit of deadner on the deck and dont try to overpower the sub.

It's the sub is made for free air then it will be okay. I've see people do Rockford fosgate free air in rear decks with the trunk as a box

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.