Freaking BB confusing me

FurbiesAndBeans
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Corona, CA
ok, first of all i know i shouldn't shop at best buy for audio stuff, i was just helping my friend (he was stubborn and wanted to buy a sub that day).

So i ask this guy in the car audio place why my subs were clipping, he said cuz your giving them too much power. then i told him im running 360w rms when they can handle 1000w rms, so he quickly changed his mind to "your amp is drawing too much power." Blah blah blah blah. somehow i told him i was running it at 4 ohms, then without knowing my setup, he said "no, ur running at 2 ohms." i told him i had 2 subs, each wired to 8 ohms then paralleled and bridged. He still told me it was 2 ohms. his explanation was that it was because they were bridged. i didnt wanna really discuss this with him, but then i asked him, "well what if i wire them at 1 ohm and ran them at a lower level?" he responded with "no amp is stable at 1 ohm"

i was just frustrated, and left.

would anyone tell me if he was right on anything?

^^^^Because Best Buy is where its at. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

there was a guy that i worked with at bb and he said basically the same thing to me one day

apparently i needed a cap because my 5 batteries werent doing anything

i just laughed and walked away

ok, first of all i know i shouldn't shop at best buy for audio stuff, i was just helping my friend (he was stubborn and wanted to buy a sub that day).
So i ask this guy in the car audio place why my subs were clipping, he said cuz your giving them too much power. then i told him im running 360w rms when they can handle 1000w rms, so he quickly changed his mind to "your amp is drawing too much power." Blah blah blah blah. somehow i told him i was running it at 4 ohms, then without knowing my setup, he said "no, ur running at 2 ohms." i told him i had 2 subs, each wired to 8 ohms then paralleled and bridged. He still told me it was 2 ohms. his explanation was that it was because they were bridged. i didnt wanna really discuss this with him, but then i asked him, "well what if i wire them at 1 ohm and ran them at a lower level?" he responded with "no amp is stable at 1 ohm"

i was just frustrated, and left.

would anyone tell me if he was right on anything?
he could have meant your gains are too high because you only have 360 watts going to it so you prolly have the gains either all the way up or really high hence sending a clipped signal

I think everyone on the forums should call the main office's at best buy and circuit city and inform them on the ridiculously large amount of idiots they have working in their car audio department, and that they need some kind of test if they dont have one or they need a better one, its not just bb and cc either. I went to a private owned shop to get a box when I had my BTL and I asked the guy there what the box volume was and what it was tuned to and he said he didnt know and 120db's, I asked (infront of customers) him how he did installs and he didnt even know what to set his subsonic filter at because he knows nothing about the boxes he has sitting on his floor. He had the stupidest look on his face, sad part was I still had to buy the box cause I didnt have time to build my own.=(

each channel is seeing 2 ohms the amp is seeing 4 ohms. when you bridge an amp it splits the load in half per channel.
But it's a monoblock amp. Isn't it just 1 channel?

Oh btw, i know they clip because i had my gain to high, i just wanted to hear from a "professionals" point of view, but i guess i was wrong.

But it's a monoblock amp. Isn't it just 1 channel?
Oh btw, i know they clip because i had my gain to high, i just wanted to hear from a "professionals" point of view, but i guess i was wrong.
well apparently if they CONFUSED you i do not think you are any better off than them

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.