For Vented *SQ* Set-Ups Are You Supposed To Tune To The Sub's Fs?

WarDrumz
10+ year member

Hebrew Israelite
Please help.

I'd like to know for an all out vented SQ set-up, are you supposed to tune the box to the sub's Fs?

I notice that recommended tunning frequencies for subs are the same as their Fs, or 1 or 2hz higher.

My Crystal sub has an Fs of 23.5hz. And I was thinking of having the box tuned around 24-26hz. Whould that be good?

I know I said flat out SQ, BUT I am also a little concerned about the output tuned that low. Will it still be about 3db louder than it would sealed?

I know it won't be as loud as it is now tuned to 35hz, but I'm over the bass-fiend stage. I want the best SQ my sub is capable of, plus a little added volume over sealed (hence my choice for vented).

Please help me.

Thanx

I know someone here knows the answer to my question with as many vented box owners as there are on here.

I know it's hard to get responses on here when the topic has nothing to do with Magnums, RE, or ED, but I need some help before getting my box made.

Experienced feedback is appreciated.

Thanx.

Not nexessarily, but to keep great SQ in a ported setup...it's recommended to tune your box low. Keep in mind the type of music u listen to...MOST songs (cept *some* rap) often do not go below 30hz. For a SQ ported box, i would most likely go around 27-28hz. So, in essence it happens to be near your subs Fs...but yeah...anywhere from 26-28hz would be great. peace

NG

Not nexessarily, but to keep great SQ in a ported setup...it's recommended to tune your box low. Keep in mind the type of music u listen to...MOST songs (cept *some* rap) often do not go below 30hz. For a SQ ported box, i would most likely go around 27-28hz. So, in essence it happens to be near your subs Fs...but yeah...anywhere from 26-28hz would be great. peace
NG
OMG, that was unexpected.

Thanx man. I appreciate it.

Tuned that low,will it still be about 3db louder above the tunning frequency than sealed will be?

I'm having the GnomeAudio guy build a vented box for my Crystal sub. It will be tuned to 24hz (1hz above my sub's Fs).

With a 24hz tuning, sealed shouldn't be any better in terms of SQ than my box. Plus I'll have more output.

That tuning should cover everything from my LP crossover point down to about 20hz. And that's all the matters audibly, to ME anyway.

Those of you who are thinking about having your box made by Gnome Audio, I'll let you know how it goes. And when I get my box, I'll let you know if it's built solid and how it sounds.

24hz vented box > sealed box, LOL! Atleast I hope. I know it will be superior in output.

Holla

i will also be going with a slot ported enclosure for my xxx for sq. RE recommends 2.1 cubic feet at 28 hz tuning. With that tuning it should still be able to play down to 20 hz without hurting the sub no? Let us know how yours turns out, im curious.

i will also be going with a slot ported enclosure for my xxx for sq. RE recommends 2.1 cubic feet at 28 hz tuning. With that tuning it should still be able to play down to 20 hz without hurting the sub no? Let us know how yours turns out, im curious.
You got it buddy!

I'll let ya know the minute I get my box and set it up.

Good Luck with your XXX. I'm jealous,lol.

well, I'm tuned to ~23 Hz,

some things to pay attention too

your midbass, of course you have to have strong midbass because your sub isn't going to have that much output up there when you are tuned down there

my problem is when I want to listen to "music" I set everything flat, which means my mids are x'd over lower to bring the bass up in front of you

then when I want to listen to something loud, I change the setting to save my mids from having to play those low freqs loud, sometimes I forget to do this, and it's hurting my CDT's, be careful

umm, what else

:veryhappy

there are alot of songs that go that low, not just rap, but if your not hitting that low note, you'll never know

it's fun to listen to songs you've known for a while and get surprised like "****, I never knew that was in there"

oh yeah, I'm tuned really low because I have an extended cab pick-up, no cabin gain down low, if I had a 77 lincoln I'd probably tune to about 30 Hz and let the car do the rest

Nice information there.

Yeah, I have some Infinity 693.5i's and 63.5i's, but I'll need an amp to get their potential out of them, and to make up for the low tuning of my sub.

Thanx for the response man.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.