FOCAL Utopia 37x (15'') vs. Polykevlar k2 40kx (16")

magnanimous
10+ year member

Upgrading my Subwoofer system soon, from my TMA 1000w and 2 JL W3 V3 (12''). I have one PDX amp, want to set myself up incase I need to save space, I can stack them, so I want to get one or two for my Sub/subs.

Found 2 600w PDX's for $400. My Alpine 8886 and processor h701 have only 3 preouts, but can I still run 2 mono amps to two seperate subwoofers?? How exactly? From my understanding, I cannot combine them to power one sub, so thinking Id get one sub now, box it, and box up another sub later on. which leads to my next question...

Found a Utopia sub, that runs at 950w rms according to the guy selling it on craigslist, its 15'', the discont 37x. Wouldnt be able to run it at its fullest with one PDX 600,but still sick, right? He wants $500 for it, I can pick it up locally, and its used without a box.

or

Theres a guy selling a pair of 16" Polykevlar K2 subwoofers on eBay, RMS 500w that would run with plenty of power on a PDX. would only get one for now, but it would be easier for me to pick find another one someday because they arent discontinued like the Utopia. $700 each shipped, new, no box or warranty tho.

I want great, longlasting, subs that I wont have to upgrade for a long time. I force myself to always buy the best shitt, especially for my music. my question is How much greater is the Utopia sub over the Kevlar? Or is the kevlar, being a 16 inch and running at rms, going to hit harder, clearer, and or deeper assuming I build a box to specs for either one? ANybody heard either or both of these subs running? Im a dude on a budget here trying to get the best sound for his $. And Focal stuff gets me hard

Which route do I go guys? thanks--first time poster

-Devin

My vote would be the two Polykev 16"s //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

going to hit harder
I'm confused. Generally, if you're looking at Focal subs, this isn't a phrase that should be in your vocabulary.

Found 2 600w PDX's for $400. My Alpine 8886 and processor h701 have only 3 preouts, but can I still run 2 mono amps to two seperate subwoofers?? How exactly? From my understanding, I cannot combine them to power one sub, so thinking Id get one sub now, box it, and box up another sub later on. which leads to my next question...
Turn the Center channel off. Now plug in your RCA's. Run them to your amps. Now plug in RCA Y-spillters into each of your Mono Amps and plug your RCA's into the Y-spillters.

Yeah Jim from reading posts and reviews It seems like the focals, even at 16 inches!, arent going to be hitting very hard. especially worried about that seeing how I can only afford one for now. Concidering other subs, like just getting w6's or maybe some hertz subs, what else do you guys recommend, around 3-6 hun $/each retail. Anything for sale guys?? Since the focals would be clean and clear, but wont give me the forcefull pounds that hurt my brain

My vote would be the two Polykev 16"s //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I'm confused. Generally, if you're looking at Focal subs, this isn't a phrase that should be in your vocabulary.
Flat response is FTW... I think?

But understand that sometimes folks with high end SQ stuff sometimes like obnoxiously loud bass lol

What would be the differences in sound, performance, SQ, SPL, etc between a Kevlar 16" (500w) and a Utopia 15" (450w) powered by a 600w alpine PDX with a H701 processor/line driver, assuming the box is enclosed and to Focal recs? Thanks guys

Also, the Kevlar 16" seems to have a waaaay bigger surround around the sub than the Utopia. What does this mean? a JL w7 has a way larger surround than my w3's, they are way better subs, also take twice the watts. Is that part of the reason they are better subs? I see this with alot of the higher end model subs from companies, they have bigger surrounds. But how come when we step up to the $2000 sub range (the Utopia series) the level below these ($1500 range K2P) have a bigger surround, and alittle more wattage? Is the size of the surround adjacent to the level of power vs. the SQ, the Utopia is aimed towards precision vs the kevlar aimed at more of a balance between power and precise?

No, the size of the surround has nothing to do with any of that.

I still think if you're worried about "pounding", you can achieve that for much, much less than anything Focal. A Fi Q with copper coils would cost a lot less, and still be suitable in a sealed enclosure.

The reason I recommended two 16's is not to get loud, but the ability to sweep more air while keeping distortion levels down, in a flatter part of the BL curve //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.