Focal or Mille for my rookie setup

o27

Hi there.

First post in here so please bear with me. Been spending several days searching for a good reputable carfi forum, and finally found this - looks fantastic so far;)

I´m a noob regarding carfi as you will probably have no problems spotting:D

I just got myself a new ride - Toyota Avensis T180 Tourer(http://www.autotrader.co.uk/EDITORIAL/CARS/FEATURES/31946.html) fantastic ride. It has everything that i need (drives around 50.000 km a year) except a really nice car stereo.

Initially i just wanted to have a subtle but significant upgrade on my speakers in alle 4 doors, and was looking at Rainbow SAX 265.20 and Pioneer TS-C170Ci, running of my stock HU (as it has a very nice bt handsfree and wheel controlled HU).

But all of a sudden i have gotten two exceptional good offers on 1) *EDITED*Focal 165 K2P (not 165 KRX2 as first mentioned) and 2) Hertz 165MLK Mille

Actually i can get the Foacal (used, but in mint condition) for around 200$ and around double that for the Milles - yes indeed its some nice offers!!!!

I am leaning towards the Focals, but i´m a bit sceptic for the talk in here and around the net on their "canny/high/harsh" tweeters and i seems the mid´s only goes as low as around 70hz?! Whereas the Milles are a wooping 35hz - can this be real?

If the Focal only goes to around 70hz i guess a sub is mandatory (have been looking for the new sony 12" shallow type, as i need the entire trunk for luggage for my three kids (3, 1½ yrs. and one new born).

I initially wanted to have 2 identical comps in both the front and rear doors - but i can see most of you recommend just to have one good set in the front and stock or none in the rear - right? That would save me some monies as well.

I want a good quality system i wont have to upgrade for the next couple of years. I feel i´m a little too old to all that bass humping and pumping, i just want some great high quality stereo.

If i go Focal, and a sub? what amp would be recommendable?

My doors will be dampned with Dynmax extreme, and i have a very experienced (competition/showcase) installer having helping me out with the fitting of the system. His prefercences are DLS and Pioneer).

I pretty much knows that the Milles are very good allaround, but for some ulogical way i feel more strongly for the Focals - somehow they are more high-end in my little silly head:greedy:

So any help from you wonderfully enligthend guys would really be appreciated.

Thanks alot.

More than likely, you will not need your mids to go anywhere CLOSE to 35hz.

I would recommend the focal's, simply because of the price. The price allows plenty of playing room for the subwoofer that you will need to delve into the lower freq's.

There are plenty of options that perform well in small, sealed enclosures that will take up as little space as possible.

Are you planning on running the factory headunit? What amplifier/s, if any?

But it's fun //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Are you limited to just pre-built component sets? If you're having someone experienced helping you, might be worthwhile to actively bi-amp and skip the passive crossovers entirely //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

But it's fun //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
Are you limited to just pre-built component sets? If you're having someone experienced helping you, might be worthwhile to actively bi-amp and skip the passive crossovers entirely //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
I would recommend this as option 3. You will be able to achieve the sound your looking for, and with a little internet browsing, you could even come in with a sub-$200 price tag.

But you would need to run a headunit with active crossover capability, or have processing through your amplifiers or through a processing system like the Rockford Fosgate 360.2

I would recommend the focal's, simply because of the price. The price allows plenty of playing room for the subwoofer that you will need to delve into the lower freq's.

Are you planning on running the factory headunit? What amplifier/s, if any?
Yes at first i would like to run my factory HU, as i dont have the monies for a double din replacement right now (cars are a bit more here in Denmark, than in the states!! i.e my humble little tourer would equal 100.000$ freely converted at the current exchange rate!!!!!).

Back-on-track i would like some inputs to which amp would suite the Focal while keeping my HU, if that can be tolerated at all?!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Regarding the sub - it will have to be some kind of shallow type as i will have to go under the foor in the boot (my "installer" and i have talked about a fibreglass cabinet in the well to the spare tire).

But as said, total rookie, so all your recommendations are highely appreciated.

Yes at first i would like to run my factory HU, as i dont have the monies for a double din replacement right now (cars are a bit more here in Denmark, than in the states!! i.e my humble little tourer would equal 100.000$ freely converted at the current exchange rate!!!!!).
Back-on-track i would like some inputs to which amp would suite the Focal while keeping my HU, if that can be tolerated at all?!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Regarding the sub - it will have to be some kind of shallow type as i will have to go under the foor in the boot (my "installer" and i have talked about a fibreglass cabinet in the well to the spare tire).

But as said, total rookie, so all your recommendations are highely appreciated.
You shouldn't have any problem keeping the factory headunit. You'll need what's known as a 'LOC' or Line Output Converter. It will need to be tied into your speaker wires, but your installer should be well aware of this. It will allow you to use an RCA connection output to your amplifier/s.

Are you wanting to keep it to one amplifier for the entire setup (focals/subwoofer), or using multiple amplifiers (one for the focals and one for the subwoofer)???

That is going to determine my imput... hah.

Are you wanting to keep it to one amplifier for the entire setup (focals/subwoofer), or using multiple amplifiers (one for the focals and one for the subwoofer)???

That is going to determine my imput... hah.
I would prefer one amp, as to "keep it simple" (and also the less visible, the higher WAF - hence my wish to keep the look of it as close to stock as possible).

Sounds great i can keep my current HU.

EDITED - the Focal´s are 165 K2P (not 165 KRX2 as first mentioned) - dont know if that´ll change anything? It just seems there´s a lot more experience regarding the K2P´s in here.

Another option for the sub install is in the side panels in the boot, quite common placement I would say, then you can retain your spare tire. A glass fiber box is then made for the sub.

If you do a search for the MLK on this forum, you will find a few useful threads.

Will i be able to go active on the Focals if I where to get an Audison SRx5 - it seems this amp has built in filters, if they´re any good?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.