Focal 27 KX problems - Loose Magnet! Rattle....

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hi, I noticed that my magnet was loose from the basket on my 27 KX sub - As in...I can grab the magnet and wiggle around.

I tried hooking it up (not in a box) and it plays, but of course, it rattles....

I have done a search with little success....mainly hearing that I may be stuck with a bum speaker.

Does anyone have experience with this sub or how to repair it?

It seems like the magnet is held by three screws - but they are nearly impossible to reach - not even sure if those screws tighten the magnet.

My conclusion...

As good as focal is....or how everyone raves about how great they are....

Their subwoofers are very poorly designed....not saying sound quality is bad....just not very well thought out when piecing it together. I'm sure those that own any of their subs will agree. For how much I paid for it...I'd expect something very well constructed...like my Polk SR sub. The sound quality of Polk SR vs Focal K27 are about on par...one may have a slight edge depending on the person. BUT...focal is definitely inferior in build quality.

I am just very disappointed right now with focal...I NEVER abuse my speakers and always handle them with the utmost care...

They havent even returned an email I sent 4 days ago. It seems like there are others that have had similar issues with Focals KX series subs. For $1000+ subs.....Not worth it! You are better off with something else...Magnets are getting bigger and heavier...companies need to do a little R&D and invest in updating baskets and sub structure to better support these larger magnet bases. In my opinion it is just common sense....

As far as Focal goes....just stick with their components and what not. There are much better options out there for your "bass" ....Focal just has an inferior product. Plain and simple. Now I have really nice paper weight.....until I can find someone to fix it...which will probably be outrageous.

So, just wondering if anyone can fix this...can't seem to find a repair/re-cone kit as it seems like you will have to remove a few things to access the screws to tighten everything up.

A repair should be able to be done by a good custom sub builder.

There are several here on the forum.

As long as the cone and coil are not damaged spiders and surrounds from other aplications should be able to be used if they are damaged during process.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.