Foam on my Speakers keep tearing

To me that doesn't look like over excursion. I only say that because the part that isn't torn yet looks dry and cracked and I don't feel like that surround would have that look just from stretching it. Do you happen to clean your car a lot? Do you spray your door panels with any sort of cleaners or sealants? When you first installed them how did they sound did you hear any distortion with bass when they were new?

You don't offer much in the way of info if you are expecting much in the way of helpful suggestions.

I'm not an expert by any stretch but doing a googly search on the head unit and jbl speakers I see that the head unit is rated for 4ohms and the speakers are rated at 2ohms. Is this perhaps a cause?

Perhaps it is a faulty speaker. Have you tried another pair. The jbl's aren't a costly speaker. If you have the speakers before replacement try reinstalling them and see what happens.

That damage is just not normal. You state you are new to this so did you do the install yourself? Have you gone over the wiring carefully to make sure everything is connected/grounded/etc. correctly? What have you done to trouble shoot?

Good luck and keep us informed.

So to answer everyone's questions, the JBLs are the ones tearing. As far as sound settings, I use the built in EQ settings and push the MegaBass button, that's about as far as I go.

I do not clean my car or spray anything by the speakers. The installation was done myself but this is not my first audio installation. The other 4 cars I've done have no issues.

So I don't have any HPF set. Not sure exactly how to set them. The fronts are a component pair so I do have a crossover. The doors do not hit the speakers. I doubt they'll hit as they're vibrating but I could try to pad the doors a bit to prevent that.

So, how do you properly set a head unit to run with speakers?

So you have a sub? If so, you need to set your filters. I set them at around 80-100 hz depending on how high my subs can go, then match the HPF. It takes a lot of work away from the mids that way. It also sounds like the HU is seeing 2 ohms from those JBLs, which means you're not putting the ~40W that you think you are, you're actually pushing closer to 80W. That may be going past the mechanical limits of the driver. That also could be putting your HU at risk since I'm pretty sure it's not 2 ohm stable. It'll do it for a while, and maybe you have enough ventilation behind your dash to push it forever, but your speakers are apparently not dealing with it very well. An easy way to tell is that your new speakers shouldn't be louder than your sick ones, just cleaner at higher volumes. By doubling the power (or halving the resistance) you should get close to +3 dB out of the speakers which should be pretty noticeable, but you can also hook up a multimeter to the terminals and see what she reads. With it on a flat surface and no pressure on the cone it should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 2 ohms if Kai Winters is correct. You did mention it's a component setup, so check at the input to the crossover. If it's reading 2 ohms, then either get speakers with a higher resistance, or baby them and don't go over about 35 on the HU (assuming yours is like my MEX-610BT and it goes to 50) you may want to consider getting a sub so you can push the bass from a driver meant to handle it and get more usable power from your mids.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

So to answer everyone's questions, the JBLs are the ones tearing. As far as sound settings, I use the built in EQ settings and push the MegaBass button, that's about as far as I go.
I do not clean my car or spray anything by the speakers. The installation was done myself but this is not my first audio installation. The other 4 cars I've done have no issues.

So I don't have any HPF set. Not sure exactly how to set them. The fronts are a component pair so I do have a crossover. The doors do not hit the speakers. I doubt they'll hit as they're vibrating but I could try to pad the doors a bit to prevent that.

So, how do you properly set a head unit to run with speakers?
The mega bass button will cause your speakers to over exert pass its excursion limit from adding more gain.
Especially if the eq setting already is set to high bass.

Your clipping the headunits amp and messing your speakers up.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I don't have a sub. I just have my original 4 factory speakers replaced. Rears run coax speakers and fronts run component speakers.

I spoke to JBL warranty and they agreed to replace my speakers with GTO609C component speakers. Seems like they should be able to handle more than my head unit can push out.

So if my head unit can do 100x4 peak, these speakers should have no problems at all since they can run at 270 peak. Am I calculating this properly?

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SCS26KE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

GTO609C | 270-Watt, 6-1/2" Two-Way Component System

What kind of experience have you had with the GTO609Cs?  I have a set in the rear deck of my 2004 Acura TL.  I never listened to them closely, but after replacing my burnt out front speakers with some JBL GTO600c components the 609s don't sound good at all by comparison.  They sound very muffled and the tweeters are limp.  Any idea why?  I thought it might be polarity, but I'm pretty sure I kept everything consistent when I checked things a few days ago.

Mine didn't push out much bass but they did sound good. I did give the car away that had those speakers a few years ago and ended up getting a Subaru with the Harman/Kardon speakers which sounded much better. I feel like the 609s are more budget than anything.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.