FM Sensitivity

Participant count
  • Participant list

Blackcharger06
10+ year member

I'm looking at a few decks right now some range from 8 all the way up to 13 or so dfb. I was wondering what the stock numbers would be in most cars and if there is a big difference between 8-13dbf? I can pick up radio stations now that I like in other states. I live in Boston, but can get stuff in southern New Hampshire and RI. I'd hate to lose them.

I dont know if its just the ones I bought, but the FM reception on all of them ******. Stock radio trumped hands over fist!

1 JVC

2 panasonic

3 panasonic

Yup.

There's a huge difference in performance between a tuner rated for 8dBf and 13dBf.

Kenwood's CR2 tuner section has an FM mono sensitivity of 9.3dBf and there isn't any local station that I want to listen to that I can't pick up clearly and quite a few from out of town that I can listen to as well.

Anything from that sensitivity (the 9.3 like Kenwood) and better is going to give more than satisfactory performance.

I'd steer clear of the units with worse (from 10-13dBf) numbers if tuner strength is important to you.

I was really looking at the eclipse units but with a 13dbf i was wondering if that would make a difference. Thanx for the heads up guys. Pioneer looks like the lowest at 8dbf, but I'm sure there are lower ones out there. I'm looking at the alpine iva w205 that has 9.3dbf. Thanx again.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fro.gif.c695f1f814b01c4ad99fe7f8cccadd29.gif

Actually I think that tuners with an FM mono sensitivity of 8dBf is the best rating going currently.

Sony's Mobile ES gear used to have a tuner section that strong but I don't think that the current Xplod gear does.

Ask the guys who run Eclipse stuff (I have absolutely zero personal experience with any of their HUs) and see what they have to say about the strength of their tuners....that is if they even listen to broadcast terrestrial radio anymore!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.