Floating face head units

Participant count
  • Participant list
They are flimsy if you have a loud sub stage and look like someone stuck an Ipad to your dash but other than that they are great.

Make sure it doesn't cover your AC vents before you buy one lol.

Has anyone here used something like the Alpine Halo or Kenwood equivalent? I'm mainly looking to see what, if any, cons there are to running one of these floating face head units versus a traditional double din?
What Pop said, hispls has a Halo Unit. The only benefits are aesthetics. As far as car audio feats go, not very much.

Dang, I'm thinking about sticking with a standard double-din then. I have a Kenwood DNX891HD, and the only thing missing is Android Auto. The Bluetooth on it is light years ahead of the factory Subaru HK system that I currently want to rip out of my 2019 WRX. Kind of sad that a circa 2014 radio has better Bluetooth than a circa 2019 "premium" HU.

Dang, I'm thinking about sticking with a standard double-din then. I have a Kenwood DNX891HD, and the only thing missing is Android Auto. The Bluetooth on it is light years ahead of the factory Subaru HK system that I currently want to rip out of my 2019 WRX. Kind of sad that a circa 2014 radio has better Bluetooth than a circa 2019 "premium" HU.
I’d get one no doubt in fact I just might. As far as it being flimsy, I’ve seen a guy personally with 4 - 12s, 40 speakers, and running about almost 20K watts in his set up with the Alpine Halo F309 unit with no problem. It’s actually pretty popular down here in Hawaii. The cons are pretty minor really.

Since my BitOne is on the blink, I really want to give that Kenwood a try. It will save me the agony of having to get another DSP too.

As for the BitOne... the DRC is dead and it developed a turn on/off pop in cold weather. It was so bad I was worried it would take out a tweeter. EDIT: It did have a loose ground wire in the BitOne ground connection when I pulled it, but I never performed any further testing to see if that was the cause of the pop.

I ended up going with a Kenwood DDX9907XR because I grew tired of waiting on the floating face head units to appear in stock. Now even the DDX9907XR has dried up or is available at a price that is $500 more than what I paid for mine...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...