First System: Recommendations?

Participant count
  • Participant list

freesole

Hi everyone,

So I've been reading through a few of the threads on here and have found a lot of them to be extremely informative. It's obvious that a lot of you are experts in this field and know A LOT more than I do.

I have a 2007 Honda Accord that I recently just installed an Alpine CDA9887 H/U (with Imprint) and a set of component speakers (Polk Audio MM6510). From what I can tell so far (it's only been 2 days since they were installed), this combination sounds so much better than the stock system already. But what I also noticed was the lack of ... "oomph" for a lack of a better word. There is a noticeable lack of bass (for some reason, it sounds like the bass is even less than the stock speakers but maybe I am on crack?).

I was told by a few friends that this is normal and that I would at least need an amp to really hear the full potential of the new speakers. Would a new amp also help the speakers in the bass department?

With that being said, I am looking for two things:

1. Amp

2. Sub (don't need head pounding bass, all I want is good clean, clear bass. If I could get that through my speakers without the bass, I'm all over that but it seems like this is not possible).

In terms of setup, I am looking for great sound quality only so I definitely don't need an all power setup. My budget is $600-800.

Any suggestions or advice?

If you want sound quality, I have an Alpine Type X 10'' subwoofer. Fantastic sound quality woofer that can get loud if you want it. It's 1000RMS. New in box. Pm me!

That 4-channel amp is a good idea for a couple reasons. 1) You'll actually be able to hear what you components sound like when their power right (which is so much better than H/U power) and 2) you won't need to spend the extra cash on a seperate Sub stage amp plus the cost of wiring, distrobution blocks, etc. Do what audiolife said, wire your components in the front channels of the amp and bridge the rear channels for your subwoofer. Since you're not looking for any sidewalk-shaking bass, just use a sealed enclosure that has the proper volume for any subwoofer you choose. The transient response of sealed enclosures are also very desireable for sound quality reasons. Not to mention it takes a lot less space and are easier to build if you're a 'Do-it-yourselfer'. Your budget is actually plenty to net you a nice quality woofer and an amplifier to push it along with your front stage.

That 4-channel amp is a good idea for a couple reasons. 1) You'll actually be able to hear what you components sound like when their power right (which is so much better than H/U power) and 2) you won't need to spend the extra cash on a seperate Sub stage amp plus the cost of wiring, distrobution blocks, etc. Do what audiolife said, wire your components in the front channels of the amp and bridge the rear channels for your subwoofer. Since you're not looking for any sidewalk-shaking bass, just use a sealed enclosure that has the proper volume for any subwoofer you choose. The transient response of sealed enclosures are also very desireable for sound quality reasons. Not to mention it takes a lot less space and are easier to build if you're a 'Do-it-yourselfer'. Your budget is actually plenty to net you a nice quality woofer and an amplifier to push it along with your front stage.
Thanks, good to know. I'm a newbie so it's good to know an overall approach that isn't over the top nor is it too cheap. Can you recommend any specific models that I should take a look into?

CEA-2006 compliant amps rated to do that power is fine. Many mainstream entry level amps meet that criteria
Just watch the CEA ratings because some manufacturers, like KENWOOD, only CEA certify them at 4 ohms.

bump //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Any recommendations for a sub and amp from personal experience or hearsay would be great.

with your budget you are in good shape. For some good quality I really like my Dayton HO10 its very tight, crisp, and accurate. Will run you around 140-150 shipped off partsexpress.com. Its a 600W sub though so you may need a high powered 4 channel or 2 amps. I run mine off of a Cadence TXA 3002, if you could get your hands on a TXA 6004 you would be set. 2x150 from 2 channels and 1x600 out of the other 2. Would be fine for what you have. Then the proper amp kit and your set to go.

For a single amp solution. The TXA-6004 is the best choice I can find for that dayton sub. Maybe some other people have some suggestions, check around the classifides too. Can find some good stuff in there.

Sub

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-462

http://www.woofersetc.com/p6099/TXA6004--Cadence-4-Channel-High-Power-1200-Watt-Amplifier.htm

with your budget you are in good shape. For some good quality I really like my Dayton HO10 its very tight, crisp, and accurate. Will run you around 140-150 shipped off partsexpress.com. Its a 600W sub though so you may need a high powered 4 channel or 2 amps. I run mine off of a Cadence TXA 3002, if you could get your hands on a TXA 6004 you would be set. 2x150 from 2 channels and 1x600 out of the other 2. Would be fine for what you have. Then the proper amp kit and your set to go.
For a single amp solution. The TXA-6004 is the best choice I can find for that dayton sub. Maybe some other people have some suggestions, check around the classifides too. Can find some good stuff in there.

Sub

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-462

http://www.woofersetc.com/p6099/TXA6004--Cadence-4-Channel-High-Power-1200-Watt-Amplifier.htm

Thanks for the detailed response. This is exactly the type of advice I needed //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif In terms of amps though, how would you rate it against the Audison LRX4.300 and the ARC 4150XXK?

For the sub, what do you think of the IDQv3 10" or the Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1D?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.