first experience fiberglassing

chrisw91
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
even though its not car audio i thought it was worthy of putting up. these are pods for gauges in my truck...

P1010004.jpg

P1010006.jpg

P1010007.jpg

P1010008-1.jpg

ya, but it a good experience, and at least i can say i have done it now. its neat cause you can make just about anything with it

ya, it was kinda hard the way i did it with the sticks. i would recomend using a piece of pvc pipe, that would make it way easier cause it is already round.

i piddled around with the skeleton part for like 2 hours to get them right. the fiberglass to like an hour, half an hour each day cause its cold and doesnt harden very well.

and i used cloth on the first coat, then matt to fill in the wrinkles where the cloth kinda fell through the sticks.

ya, it was kinda hard the way i did it with the sticks. i would recomend using a piece of pvc pipe, that would make it way easier cause it is already round.
i piddled around with the skeleton part for like 2 hours to get them right. the fiberglass to like an hour, half an hour each day cause its cold and doesnt harden very well.

and i used cloth on the first coat, then matt to fill in the wrinkles where the cloth kinda fell through the sticks.
Next time try using fleece or spandex for the first layer this will give you the nice curves that make it look organic.Then you won't have holes were the FG can fall through.And on smaller projects like this you can just use kitty hair or enough bondo to make it soild.

ya, is that the stuff i see every one use on boxes? the stuff that looks like a sheet? but dont they staple it tight? how would i use it on plastic?

looks good and same concept as a speaker pod. always good to get ur glassing skills up its a handy skill to have

and for sticking it to plastic use high temp hot glue or CA glue. both have worked well for me and not pulled apart as the resin was curing, just make sure the plastic is cleaned of an oils and roughed up first with course sandpaper

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.