finally put my new engine in my 79 beetle

yne721
10+ year member

SWINE FLU!!!!
Maui/Detroit
it's just a 1776cc. nothing crazy. ratio rockers, progressive carb, some performance heads..

didn't want to get too crazy because i still want to get decent mileage and keep it reliable as it's my daily driver...

here's some pics though...

engine out of the car..

1217395536.jpg

the original engine, only had 42k original miles, it was just tired as ****...

101_1102.jpg

101_1103.jpg

the new engine....

1217395626.jpg

and in the car.....

101_1104.jpg

i'll see if i can maybe get a video tomorrow if anyone wants to hear the exhaust. it has a real nice tone.

overall i'm really happy with the swap. it's not crazy fast, but it's defnately faster than my completely stock 1600 with FI

Those are air cooled right? What kind of mileage can you get out of it?
yeah they're air cooled.

on my stock i was getting high 20's if i drove it nice, but that's just because it was so worn out. when i first got it i was in the thirties.

i'm going to fill up today and figure out my mileage with my new engine over the next week.

yeah they're air cooled.
on my stock i was getting high 20's if i drove it nice, but that's just because it was so worn out. when i first got it i was in the thirties.

i'm going to fill up today and figure out my mileage with my new engine over the next week.
you need to wait a month or so to allow your foot to break in:laugh:

new motor = play time = bad mileage

I killed one of those bugs about 5 years ago. Knocked the front in. It took out my Tracer at the time. I was on my way to meet up with some friends and go snowboarding. Stupid bug ruined my day.

Looks good though...

Looks good man.

When I lived down in Vancouver the VW club would come out to the street legal drags in Mission once in a while. They had a couple cars that would pull low 12's. I remember one in the high 11's.

If I had room for another couple hobbies in my life, Bugs would be one of them.

How much hp/tq you expecting out of that engine? How much do those bugs weigh?

hmmmm imagine a liter bike engine swap like they do in those smartcars! Wonder if the lack of torque would be a problem though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.