fiberglass question

Participant count
  • Participant list

bumpin_8605
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
im goin to fiberglass the front of my new box and im wondering how to make the rest of the box match when i paint it. do i jus put a of fiberglass over it or can u jus put bondo straight on the wood on the box. i also heard u can jus pore resin on the wood or does that work. any suggestions will be appreciated. thanx

-trent

I am working on a box for 4 12" Alpine type Rs for my cousin's 04' Explorer and Kinda doing this same thing...

So we built the box out of MDF and got it the way we wanted it. Now come time to cover it... I wanted her to do it in vinyl to match her interior her B/F wanted it done in carpet.... So we comprermised, Back, top and sides are carpet, fromt will be painted to match the trucks exterior...

Basicly, I had the front baffle cut and shaped the way I wanted it. So I mixed up a the resin and catalyst (in mixing bowl $1.00ea from Home depo, right next to the resin). I used a tac rag for painting cars to wipe down the surface, making sure there was'nt any dust or debree. Then I applied a thin coat of Resin. I let it try for a half hour or so and layed on another. I think I put on three maybe four thin coats. Then I sanded down all the high spots (I think I was using 220 grit) and layed on a final coat of resin. It took a bit more sanding then I primered it. I used 3 good coats of primer. Then I sanded that all smooth (with 550 grit) tell I was happy. Now come the paint. I layed on three coats of paint. So far it looks good. I haven't had anymore time to mess with it. I still have too clear it a few times and buff the piss out of it...

I have a few pics of the box under construction and when I get it finished I will take a few more and post them if you like...

Overall, I'm happy with the Boxs construction and the ampracks sliding drawer for the 4 amps, but I am not really happy with the Carpeting. That was not my idea, I wanted Vinyl, I think it would have complemented the Explorer's interior much better and the paint would have just set it off... O'well, not my ride... We'll see how it turns out...

Sorry so long, Hope that all helps...

I personally wouldn't go to all the trouble of resin or bondo on the mdf. Paint on a layer of killz, sand smooth, then another coat of killz. Then sand smooth, and prime like you would normally. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I personally wouldn't go to all the trouble of resin or bondo on the mdf. Paint on a layer of killz, sand smooth, then another coat of killz. Then sand smooth, and prime like you would normally. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
A little ore info would be great.. What exactly is Killz??? I have never seen or heard of it...

I know the way I do it works well and has great results, but hey I'm looking to learn and improve... One of the reasons I'm here //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

So, if you have any links and step by step pics of this process, it would be great!!!

Thanks for the possible idea..

Killz is basically a really thick and smelly paint that makes the surface become poreous. It also is great at covering up dark spots, so it's used a lot in applications where you basically want an entire new surface, i.e. a dirty bathroom. Instead of trying to scrub off all the mold or replace all the tiles, a layer or 2 of killz will make it look brand new and ready for painting.

And it gets you high.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.