Fiberglass mat vs. cloth

Yep plastic is fine. Just clean it up afterwards with acetone. Cloth then mat is fine . Just change the bias 45 degrees each layer it will increase the strength. As for wetting the mat out. Expirement and see which way works the best for you. I prefer to soak it before hand if possible. Then lay the mat down. Sometimes this is impossible, and you have to brush it on. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

basically. as long as the fiberglass resin is soaked into ANYTHING and enough hardner is added previously. it will work. dont be too worried about the perfect mix, or the kind of fiberglass, hell. if you needed one more layer and there was no more fiberglass to be found, you could rip up a t-shirt and use that.

dont be too concerned, you arent making a racing body for a dragracer =)

you should be fine.

hey now, you never know what you could be making once you get the hang of it. I started out repairing hulls on jet ski's and boats. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

basically. as long as the fiberglass resin is soaked into ANYTHING and enough hardner is added previously. it will work. dont be too worried about the perfect mix, or the kind of fiberglass, hell. if you needed one more layer and there was no more fiberglass to be found, you could rip up a t-shirt and use that.
If you don't care about strength, sure you could. All the resin does is hold the glass fiber together. The glass fiber is what actually provides the strength. Regular cloth stretches too much to add anything of benefit. It's OK for making the basic shape but it needs to be reinforced with glass.
dont be too concerned, you arent making a racing body for a dragracer =)
True, a high powered sub system will exert more pressure and needs to be stiffer to do its job properly.
you should be fine.
Use the intended material. If it were as simple and cheap as just using t-shirt, there would be no glass matt or glass cloth or biaxial.

i wish i could just go to goodwill and buy a handful of t shirts instead of buying yards of matte, but that just wouldnt work. I use matte for most of my stuff, cloth for molds or final layers, and fiberglass filler for my strength

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.